Attention Goldfish Keepers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you are at all interested in trouncing myths, please send a letter to Faith of www.bettatalk.com about the most recent inquiry she responded to. You can see the inquiry on the front page by scrolling down a bit, as well as her response. As far as I can tell it is completely uninformed and is a very poor mistake on the part of someone who is idolized by many fishkeepers and offers her column as "free advice." The only content of the letter really needs to be about the comment she makes that goldfish do not require filtration and moving water (which I assume means she believes they can live in a small compartment of water, just as her bettas do).

Just so you guys know. I only have my one mutt goldfish at present, but I am of course always concerned about influential people giving out bad information and its effect on the health of fishes. In my letter to her I also said that she should revise her column to say that bettas and goldfish should *never* be kept together (rather than the "two week try" approach that she suggests) for the health of the fish, but I imagine it would be a quantity of letters that might sway her to do something rather than the content of each individual letter.

So if you have the time, please write to her and tell her to correct her column. I think it's particularly poor of her to write so casually of improper care methods when right on the row of links at the side of her page she has a button that says "stop betta abuse." :roll:

This angers me-

Personality mismatch: Another thing with bettas and goldfish. They are a mismatch personality wise:

Goldfish: dumb as a post, swims a lot all the time, eats a LOT and (yes) Pooooops a LOOOOOOT (hence polluting its own tank at lightning speed). Pretty harmless, big toothless mouth pointing down, silly looking. In short, your retarded cousin type :).

Betta: Cunning, elegant, majestic, smart, temperamental, likes his space, likes his peace. Moves slow, likes napping a lot. Does not want to be disturbed, especially not by retarded cousins ;). Small mouth pointing upward, ideal to pick on above mentioned retarded cousins crowding the water space above him hehehe.

To call a goldfish your "retarded cousin type" I have had both goldfish and bettas and both have a lot of personality... and to be honest I think my goldfish are smarter than all of my bettas. At least goldfish don't get mad when they seem themselves in the mirror *snarf*

It was on the front page as soon as you click the link, in the middle of the page.

You would think she would atleast do some actual research since she writes a column (or let me guess, she feels she is an expert and looking up information is beneath her?). I don't see how she can even suggest that bettas be kept without filtration.

Actually it just changed today. That was fast. I couldn't find if she had an archive or not.

Furthermore, I'm not sure but the Q&A she posts may be the result of her "consultations," in which she *charges people money* to answer specific questions.

I think the girl with the goldfish question should get her money back. ;) (Though I think it was just one of her randomly selected questions.)

if it didnt change i was gonna make a threat 8P.

This is Gene Bourderoff from the APFUA (Animal Protection From Yours Truely) :)

There have been rumors that you have been giving incorrect information leading to a systematic Nitrospira crash in the aquarium trade. If we have confirmation that you are the cause of the deaths and you continue i will take this case to my superiors and I will take you down. You will be looking at 200 hours of community service, apologise to everyone you lied to, and 72 hours jailtime. Are you sure you want that?

Gene

ergo visa-v concordantly :) (matrix reloaded)

:D any1 find it scary :)

Back
Top Bottom