Baby Biorb Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
Set up a Baby Biorb. 4gallon. Did some crazy under sand sponges to see if I can do this with sand instead of gravel. View attachment 295913

Ramshorn snails and plant starts to keep things rolling. These were all in jars for the past few months with the sand to prepare. Got this tank for $25 used back in November and finally took a minute to set it up and buff the scratches.

If it works out I might out some Red Cherry Shrimp in here and use it for new plant growing. IMG_7732.jpg

There you are with another orb, I think this is the perfect place for Cherry Shrimp with some mature stones (ones from an establshed tank), DW and plants.

What if you tried a different color Neo shrimp?

At the moment I have a bunch of Anubias starts on slate and one stone with bacteria.

I would love some different shrimp!

Looking for feedback on the sand. The biorb media is sharp biomedia. I wanted sand but had to adopt the undergravel filter idea. The bubble tube intake was surrounded by fine foam. Then actual basket has fine floss. The sand was put on top of the foam. All of this to minimize the sand making its way into the actual bubble tube chamber. With minimal bioload I would estimate need to clean the sand and undersand sponges every 3-4 months. Doing a light surface vacuum and 50%pwc weekly.

Would a substrate like this be okay in the system? It is a 1-1.5mm size.

60074-albums14480-picture69706.jpg

Definitely. I use similar sized biomedia gravel in my Biorb and Biube. But I was curious to see if sand can work if the sponges and floss will keep the bubble chamber free of sand and how the water movement turns.

Great read. I had undergravel filters for a decade and they always did the job. I would siphon the water from my water changes up from the bubble tube to keep to much muck from accumulating. Then on occasion tear the tank down to clean under it but preserving the bacteria by rinsing in dechlorinated water and then all back together again. I never had live plants back then but the fish did well.

Relocation to the office from the garage. Tossed a few more plants in and my octopus. Snails are enjoying and algae tab. I may regret the window but it doesn't get any direct sun so I will keep my fingers crossed. IMG_7750.jpg

Endlers in their new home. Going to take this tank to work and bring the Biube home. IMG_8587.jpg

I just recall, (a Guppy though) which was always picking at the snails, maybe the shells had soft algae, but I think the picking included the eyes of the Mystery snails. One Betta I had did that and the snail was saved right away!

Emptied this tank out to see how the UG is functioning- most excellent!
Put the Enders in a breeder net to take back to LFS (nippers!) in to 20Long. Put the tank back together with all of its sponges, rock and plants. Added 10 RCS and assorted snails, MTS, pond and ramshorn.

Tank is making its way to my office on Monday. IMG_9030.jpg

Yes. Some of them at over an inch in diameter.

To do this you must take one young snail under 1/2". This is to try and avoid it being sexually mature and fertile. Put it in a tank where it is the only ramshorn. Without competition from its own kind they achieve a decent size. Much bigger than when left in a take full of ramshorns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom