Baby Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnpleco

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just found 1 in my tank I have put him alone in a 2.5 gallon what do I do???????????????

you might have more but they could be hiding or could have been eaten by the mom. leave the little guy separate for a week and will get big enough to not fit in a mouth. feed finely ground flakes and it should be okay.

one of my plays just had babies yesterday so I'm right there with you :)

ddrewns said:
you might have more but they could be hiding or could have been eaten by the mom. leave the little guy separate for a week and will get big enough to not fit in a mouth. feed finely ground flakes and it should be okay.

one of my plays just had babies yesterday so I'm right there with you :)

Ya I have two very pregnant platys so more baby's!

Awaiting baby platies my female is laying on the bottom corner is this normal?

It can be normal before birthing and sometimes it isn't normal. All you can do is keep a good close eye on her. Is it time for her to start birthing? How has her behavior been and her eating habits? Have you testing your tank lately?

I did a %50 water change ph was low 6.0 male is small but keeps following her nipping her gravid area following her temp is 80 to help the fry when born and help develop quicker. She has been hiding a lot but has ate twice today. I can see the fry eyes on her side. Very round

I did a %50 water change ph was low 6.0 male is small but keeps following her nipping her gravid area following her temp is 80 to help the fry when born and help develop quicker. She has been hiding a lot but has ate twice today. I can see the fry eyes on her side. Very round

What is your ammonia and nitrites and nitrates testing at those are the ones that matter to know if this is in fact her getting ready to birth or something else.

Ok well keep an eye on her she could be getting very close now.

I found platy fry in my take yesterday morning. There were about 6 of them. This morning there are still 6. I didn't know any of my platy were pregnant. I only have females. I got my first platy about a month ago and 2 more 2 days ago. I also have 2 swardtails, A female and a male, but they are very young. My male hasn't yet gotten his sward on his tail. I have an albino tetra as well, but from everything I have read they do not breed in captivity. The fry look like both breeds of platy I have and none of them have very big bellies, so I'm not sure where they came from?

BrandiW88 said:
I found platy fry in my take yesterday morning. There were about 6 of them. This morning there are still 6. I didn't know any of my platy were pregnant. I only have females. I got my first platy about a month ago and 2 more 2 days ago. I also have 2 swardtails, A female and a male, but they are very young. My male hasn't yet gotten his sward on his tail. I have an albino tetra as well, but from everything I have read they do not breed in captivity. The fry look like both breeds of platy I have and none of them have very big bellies, so I'm not sure where they came from?

My platy's bellies didn't get really huge but they were big enough to tell they were pregnant. Its easy to get used to the size of them if you see them everyday.
Are you keeping them separate or all in the same tank? If they are altogether, some fry could have been eaten.

My platy's bellies didn't get really huge but they were big enough to tell they were pregnant. Its easy to get used to the size of them if you see them everyday.
Are you keeping them separate or all in the same tank? If they are altogether, some fry could have been eaten.

They are all together. I have never had fish before so this is all new to me. I only noticed the babies yesterday and the 6 that are there are doing well it seems. My other fish aren't bothering them. They seem to be hiding in the stones although there is plenty of plants to hide in! My platies bellies aren't or weren't swollen at all, everything I have seen or read they get big. Mine look the same as they did in the store. I have only had the one for a month and the other 2 I just got 2 days ago. I just think it is crazy to find these little fish swimming in the tank!!! Also the fry don't have the swollen bellies that the pictures show. They just look like tinny fish is that normal?

BrandiW88 said:
They are all together. I have never had fish before so this is all new to me. I only noticed the babies yesterday and the 6 that are there are doing well it seems. My other fish aren't bothering them. They seem to be hiding in the stones although there is plenty of plants to hide in! My platies bellies aren't or weren't swollen at all, everything I have seen or read they get big. Mine look the same as they did in the store. I have only had the one for a month and the other 2 I just got 2 days ago. I just think it is crazy to find these little fish swimming in the tank!!! Also the fry don't have the swollen bellies that the pictures show. They just look like tinny fish is that normal?

Yeah if you have plenty of hiding places then they should be okay! And yes the fry should look like little adults! They are very cute :)

One of my fish had babie and I can't tell which one it is last night I noticed fry in the tank running around so I put my very pregnant female platy in the breeder net when I woke up she was skinnier but no babies she is smaller but not a normal size she was before or when I got her. If I don't see fry and have the set up for them in my main tank will they come out eventually? Are they getting food as I feed them everyone else?

Dbuser09 said:
One of my fish had babie and I can't tell which one it is last night I noticed fry in the tank running around so I put my very pregnant female platy in the breeder net when I woke up she was skinnier but no babies she is smaller but not a normal size she was before or when I got her. If I don't see fry and have the set up for them in my main tank will they come out eventually? Are they getting food as I feed them everyone else?

No put them in a different tank or breeder trap feed them separately

Calypso77 said:
Ok well keep an eye on her she could be getting very close now.

I got 3 more today can I put them with the other 1/2 in platy?

Back
Top Bottom