baby skunk cleaner shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzanji

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hullo all,

I witnessed an amazing thing this evening and thought I'd share it with everyone.

I had a friend over this evening and we were watching the talk. She was admiring the skunk cleaner shrimp. As I looked over at one of them I noticed that it had what appeared to be eggs underneath it. I made the comment to my friend. Not a second later, that shrimp released all of the larvae from underneath it. Probably close to a hundred little skunk cleaner larvae when flying into the open water. As I admired the little guys, I noticed that the still awake blue devil damsel was having a bit of a feast :evil: . I quickly turned off the rest of the (actinic) lights and put him to sleep. I also turned off the filter temporarily. I pulled out a flash light and watched the little buggers scoot around 8O . I thought it'd be a good idea to capture some of them for my 10 gallon not-doing-very-much-of-anything-but-cycled tank. So, out came the turkey baster. I caught about 10 of them.

I'm pretty new to reefing and have only had this tank setup since March. The shrimp, 4 in total were added back in June to combat an outbreak of Ich. Now that there's no more Ich, they don't do very much of anything excpet sit on the rock, socialize and feast on the mysis I pop in every evening.

I think so far, that has got to the most amazing experience I've had with my tank.

Thanks for listening and happy reefing all :D .

cheers!
K.

hmm, i need to get in the habit of proofreading my posts. Anyways.. ya it was quite cool. Although, I suspect that by the time I get home tonight, none of the babies will be left. If they haven't been eaten by the fish or corals, i'm sure they would've gotten sucked up by the filter :cry: . I wasn't sure what else to do with them :?: . I did catch the 10 or so to place in my 10 gallon, but it is only a quarantine tank and not really meant for raising anything. Oh well :roll: . I guess I just wasn't prepared for it. Maybe the next time it happens (if it does), I'll take the mother out and put her in a dedicated 5 gallon or something.

cheers!
K.

Back
Top Bottom