Baby Tears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I did the best I could planting the Glosso as per the forums suggestions but not one stem at a time with tweezeers--no patience!! It's planted in about 7 "mini" clumps about an inch apart.
I just bought some Baby tears--It was next to impossible to pry out the plant wool from the roots system! When I did get most of it out the baby tears stayed in clumps also with very small fragile roots. I planted the baby tears in in the clumps that it came in and had to put a lead weight strip on top of it to stop it from floating. The roots were too small to bury in the substrate.
Do you think the Glosso and Tears will take?
Thanks

55 gal
eco complete
2X65w -12 hrs
No Co2

I think you should be ok, if the glosso is going to take it will as you have planted it, but it will take longer to grow into a nice carpet, and it might want to grow up instead of flat.

You can leave rock wool on a plant if you just can't get it off without damaging the root system. Baby tears are a good example of that kind of plant. Trim as much as you can with scissors and leave the rest on. It's said that rockwool can mess with your water chemistry, I've not had any problem leaving small amounts on and planting in my tanks. Good luck.

Baby tears are not a problem. They don't even need roots to plant. Once it starts growing it grows fairly fast and needs trimming. I just cut the tops off and plant them. It makes for a beautiful bright green bush if planted close together. I use sand substrate so planting them is very easy.

thanks

ok--You are 100% correct--the Glosso is growing high not out.
The baby tears are sitting there waiting to root in substrate! Lead weight still on top till it roots!
Thanks again!
ill send a pic when the battery charges!!

I laid mine down. Instead of cutting it into small bits (my pleck would have loved that, like a salad smorgasboard. Probably would have been yelling at me for not leaving dressing there) and used a couple of lead anchors bent into a U like staples to hold it all down.

Seems to be working great sofar, even with 5 Clowns and a Pleco that hates plants unless they're floating.

pictures

as promised -here are some pictures-
Again thanks for all your help!
tank seems stable except for some amazon swords leafs yellowing.
Cliff NY

You're doing very well. You can snip the tall vertical growth of the Glosso and replant it in the bare areas. I use a small pair of needle tweezers because they seem to work the best. Just drag the tail end under the substrate and pull the rest of the vine with it until only the end of it is showing. It will grow, trust me. Glosso is nothing else if not highly prolific. It's much harder to get rid of it than it is to plant it :p

Travis,
thanks -You have more patience than I!! Im hoping I see some growth--if/when i do--I'll start clipping!!
BTW-You have a very classy tank on your profile! Nice!
Cliff-NY

:) Thanks, but you give me too much credit. It's easier than you might think. The key is to pretend like you know what you're doing :p I sure as heck don't, but I love playing with the plants :D

I agree, very pretty tank. I like how the background plants increase in height consistently from left to right, whether that was intentional or not!

Yellowing sword leaves, huh? What are you dosing for ferts?

First-Thanks for the compliments! Appreciated!
Newfound asked:
"What are you doing for ferts"--Just a few days ago I put in 5 of these black plastic fert spikes from local shop. look like litte bullets! Package says lasts a year! I doubt it.
I didnt keep the package so no more info. Guy at shop said I didnt need ferts with 2x65w and no co2.
Any suggestions on the yellow/transparent leaves?
I also noticed some leaf curling.
Light is on for 11 hours -- 7-10am then 3pm to 11pm
thanks !!
Cliff
Long Island, NY

What are your readings for:

NO3 (nitrate)
PO4 (phosphate)
pH
KH

That will help figure out what you might need for ferts.

What kind of fert spikes? Were they from the LFS or a garden shop? The garden ones I think are not good for fishtanks, the relative amounts of the nutrients are wrong (too much P, especially).

Yellow leaves can mean a bunch of different things. Are they on the new or old leaves? Could be iron, or potassium deficiency. I'm not sure if I agree with no ferts in a 55 with 2+ wpg, but I'm more used to high light and CO2, where it's not an option (I have 2x96 watts on my 55).

Folks,
In reply to Newfound,
They seem to be old leaves yellowing. The spikes were bought at a very good aquaruim store-(not a chain).
PH -6.2-(3 pieces of big driftwood)
NO3 is 40
N02 is 0
Hardness-120
Alkalinity-120
thanks

Back
Top Bottom