Backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are u guys using a gloss or flat black. Is there any prep being done to the glass other than degreasing. Is it best to spray or roll. What paint is being used

It won't matter whether the paint is Matt or gloss because you are viewing the underside of the paint against the glass. I would just be wary of the fumes from gloss paint if you have fish in at the time (not a likely scenario).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I painted mine black and built a 3d rock structure as well. I didn't want it to go edge to edge but I did want to hide my heater, filter and bubble bar. I think it turned out pretty cool. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441547173.633473.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441547193.883976.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I started with a sketch and then built the base from styrofoam. I personally used hot glue to hold the pieces together.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441553972.381334.jpg

Once I had the base built I started with a cement slurry mix to cover the styrofoam.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441554050.665433.jpg

After that dried and I applied a few more coats and didn't like how it was acting very flaky and it had a very harsh and abrasive texture. This made me fear for the fish safety so I covered the whole thing in drylok instead. I was able to get a pint of white drylok and the guy at Home Depot tinted it for me. Once that cured I siliconed it into the tank and used spare styrofoam to brace it in place.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441554268.981445.jpg

Then filled the tank with tap water and let it sit overnight with mechanical filtration only. Then drained it and repeated that process 3 more times until the ph was the same as the tap water.

Then added my gravel and hard decoration and started my fishless cycle. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

That's very impressive Yensid77. Leaving the central 'window' draws your eye deeper into the tank. You must be really pleased with the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once and a while.

Back
Top Bottom