Bacteria Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long can bacteria live in a cycled tank that has nothing in it but live rock? No fish, no CUC.

forever. I mean eventually they might need a food source but I really wouldn't stress.

It will need a regular food source to sustain life, just like everything else. You should ghost feed the tank if nothing is in it. I can't give an exact time frame, but It's not months.

I would drop a raw cocktail shrimp in there (in a stocking to keep it from breaking up all over the place), or dose a couple times a week with pure ammonia. That way they have something to eat.

The ammonia route is a lot less stinky, and you won't need to run carbon on the tank, either. With the shrimp, you get a lot of dissolved organics, the water stinks and will turn yellow-ish. Carbon will clear it up right away, though.

Make sure you take your time in dosing with ammonia. Gradually add to it every5-7 days. If you start off with a large amount, the bacteria in your tank wont be adjusted to it.

Back
Top Bottom