Bad algae problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yhbae

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, after keeping the level of algae in check for a while (doing manual clean up), I gave up... :(

I didn't clean for just over 2 weeks and the rear glass is basically a carpet of these hair algae. Also, it has spread on the drift wood which I don't want to take out each time to clean up the algae...

I've been shopping around for many LFS and here are my options:

- SAE: Geez, just when I thought I finally found it, they told me it's only for their show tank (which also contains Discus). They don't receive any in stock. I'm still looking.

- Otos: I have two already in 25g, they never touch these algaes. Worse still, they are running out of areas to suck on as the hair algae is dominating more and more over the tank. Believe it or not, I may have to remove them to another tank because of algae is kicking their b*tt!

- Bristlenose Pleco: I found a store that sells a pair for $10CA. Great! Do they eat the hair algae? (Please please someone say "yes"...)

- Amano Shrimps: I found LFS who sells one for $4CA each! So I'm not going to spend $40 on shrimps that I'm not sure if they will survive. I do have Blue Rams in the tank and not sure all I'm doing is feeding some live food for them... These shrimps were under 1 inch long at the store. I've read enough articles that confirm that these guys do eat hair algae if no other food are available in abundance.

I hope either Bristlenose Pleco or Amano Shrimp will do the trick. I started reading "Breeding Amano Shrimp" articles to see if I can replicate a few myself... :D (So far, it appears to be quite hard to breed and raise these critters...)

Another option you may want to try is, increase your water changes, this will lower your nitrate level and starve the algae out of your tank. I do this and it works quite well as 3 of my tanks are outside on my balcony and if I don't do this they become over run very quickly.

All algae problems are are the result of nutrient imbalance. It is more often than not Nitrate. Increase water changes as mentioed above. Also, how long are the tank lights on each day? excess light, along with nutrients out of balance, can cause algae to take over.

Thanks for the feedbacks!

I don't think the nitrate level is the problem - my tank has never hit higher than 5ppm. Don't think it is the level of feeding either - I only feed flakes 2 or max 3 times a week and not much each time. The rest of the times, I feed other food that wouldn't contain phosphorus.

On the other hand, this tank is placed at my living room with huge window. Although no direct sun light hits the tank, the room is pretty bright for most of the day. Could that be causing this?

i have not personaly carried out reserch into algae but the article that i pointed to above states that
You really cannot entirely "stop" the growth of any algae
and that
The first thing to look at is light. Aquariums should never be placed where they can receive a lot of direct or even indirect sunlight.
HTH

Thanks for the info - LondonGman, I did read about avoiding even indirect sunlight from somewhere but this is the darkest spot in my living room which is still bright... :(

Personally I like the look algae brings overall - looks better aged. I only have issues with them when it is all over the place and especially the hairy ones which doesn't look all that great...

Indirect light is quite likely part of it. How long are your tank lights on each day? this can also add to the problem.

The lights are on from 8am until 10am. (So that makes it 14 hours/day?). It's only 20w bulb though. Still, I just made the adjustment so that now it comes on at 7am, goes off at 10am then back on at 4pm, until 10pm. So that totals 9 hours... Hmm, that's still quite a bit - perhaps I should reduce it further...

Back
Top Bottom