Barb Stocking Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmg996

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a newly cycled 29 gal with 2 odessa barbs and 3 julii cory cats. I recently found my new pearl gourami dead so I need a new stocking list! Im thinking on doing a barb tank with 5 odessa barbs 6 tiger barbs and if i could, some cherry barbs. I have a bio wheel 170 but will be purchasing a aqua clear 50 in a few weeks. I cant get the fish soon because of finances, but i love having a stocking list and going to the pet store looking at my soon to be tank mates! :D I do plan on adding 2 more corys and a bristlenose pleco.

Barbs in general need to be in a shoal of 5-6 to curtail their aggression and I'm assuming the Odessas's did not cause the death of the Pearl Gourami? Odessa's are not as aggressive as Tigers just continue to keep an eye out.

A 29 gal Barb tank sounds like a great idea! Along with 5 Odessa's, consider 8 Tigers and you can have nice color variation, 3 Tiger and 3 Albino and 2 Green Tigers. 2-3 Cherry Barbs would also work IMO. My two are barely an inch long and kind of keep to themselves but I do see them often swimming with the other Barbs.

Barbs in general need to be in a shoal of 5-6 to curtail their aggression and I'm assuming the Odessas's did not cause the death of the Pearl Gourami? Odessa's are not as aggressive as Tigers just continue to keep an eye out.

A 29 gal Barb tank sounds like a great idea! Along with 5 Odessa's, consider 8 Tigers and you can have nice color variation, 3 Tiger and 3 Albino and 2 Green Tigers. 2-3 Cherry Barbs would also work IMO. My two are barely an inch long and kind of keep to themselves but I do see them often swimming with the other Barbs.

Im glad to hear i can pull it off!! Im almost positive the odessas didnt do it. No nip marks, no missing scales or other missing parts, never chased the gourami or went near him! They didnt even nip at the dead body! Unfortunately my LFS doesnt sell color morphs of the tigers, but i plan on ordering them online. LFS has jacked up prices too high, 19 dollars for an albino bushynose pleco! No no no way! Tigers are 4 bucks each there! Online their 3 bucks each and only 20 bucks shipping same day! So 5 odessas 8 tigers and 4 cherrys, could i pull off 5 if i do a little bigger PWC every week? I also have 3 julii corys and plan on getting a clown pleco :D

Tigers are 4 bucks each there! Online their 3 bucks each and only 20 bucks shipping same day! So 5 odessas 8 tigers and 4 cherrys, could i pull off 5 if i do a little bigger PWC every week? I also have 3 julii corys and plan on getting a clown pleco :D

If your referring to 5 Cherry's with a little more PWC ... I'd say sure ... especially if you start of with small cherry's like mine ... then you get the pleasure of seeing them grow.

Good to hear the Odessa's were not responsible for the death of your fish ... and a shame your LFS's don't have the Tiger color morphs. Oh well ... with the internet ... LFS's doesn't have to be your only resort(y)

If you end up getting a larger tank down the road ... Petco for example is having their $1.00 / gallon sale this month I think .. pretty sure they do it every year ... another Barb to consider are Black Ruby. They look similar to Tigers, are not as aggressive, are very active .. and the male turn this great red / black color during breeding. As an option for your 29 gal .. 3 Tigers .. 3 Albino or Green and 3 (ideally 2 males one female) BRB with 4 Cherry's. The BRB's shoal with Tigers no problem and I believe this combo will keep your Barb stock at around the same number your looking for.

Good luck ... keep us posted:dance:(y)

If your referring to 5 Cherry's with a little more PWC ... I'd say sure ... especially if you start of with small cherry's like mine ... then you get the pleasure of seeing them grow.

Good to hear the Odessa's were not responsible for the death of your fish ... and a shame your LFS's don't have the Tiger color morphs. Oh well ... with the internet ... LFS's doesn't have to be your only resort(y)

If you end up getting a larger tank down the road ... Petco for example is having their $1.00 / gallon sale this month I think .. pretty sure they do it every year ... another Barb to consider are Black Ruby. They look similar to Tigers, are not as aggressive, are very active .. and the male turn this great red / black color during breeding. As an option for your 29 gal .. 3 Tigers .. 3 Albino or Green and 3 (ideally 2 males one female) BRB with 4 Cherry's. The BRB's shoal with Tigers no problem and I believe this combo will keep your Barb stock at around the same number your looking for.

Good luck ... keep us posted:dance:(y)
Ill look the BRBs up! Ive heard the tigers are too aggressive to keep with cherry's is this true? I thought the cherry's were quick enough to escape a tiger nip? Wow a dollar a gallon? Im gona look at that right now!!!

Ill look the BRBs up! Ive heard the tigers are too aggressive to keep with cherry's is this true? I thought the cherry's were quick enough to escape a tiger nip? Wow a dollar a gallon? Im gona look at that right now!!!

My tigers leave them alone ... and yes the cherry's are quick ... What I'm finding, from observing my Barbs is that they all get along. Even though they are different species, they're all members of the same genus.

BTW my suggestion did include the 5 odessa's, so you can have them, Tigers, BRB and cherry's. You'll have some nice coloration ... you already know this ... but make sure with Odessa's .. it's the males that have the great red color on the sides of the body.

ALSO - there is a recent thread about the Petco $1.00 / gallon.

My tigers leave them alone ... and yes the cherry's are quick ... What I'm finding, from observing my Barbs is that they all get along. Even though they are different species, they're all members of the same genus.

BTW my suggestion did include the 5 odessa's, so you can have them, Tigers, BRB and cherry's. You'll have some nice coloration ... you already know this ... but make sure with Odessa's .. it's the males that have the great red color on the sides of the body.

ALSO - there is a recent thread about the Petco $1.00 / gallon.

What other kind of barbs would be compatible? Im thinking i already have alot of reds and trying to get other colors in there. I know neons or cardinals wouldnt do ok right?

What other kind of barbs would be compatible? Im thinking i already have alot of reds and trying to get other colors in there. I know neons or cardinals wouldnt do ok right?

If your looking for non Barbs ... Zebra Danios I've read are simply to fast to worry about TigerBarbs. I'm also researching neon tetras and cardinal tetras (for a future 120 gal) ... the rule seems to be keep the Barbs in numbers. and the tetras should be fine with Barbs. See the link below which includes a you-tube video.

Fish I

If your looking to keep it mostly Barbs ... Gold Barbs are a nice bright yellow color, checkered Barbs have the metallic silver color.

Im asking because i like my fish to contrast each other. If i keep the barbs in good numbers the neons would be fine and because of low waste i could get 5-6 right?

Im asking because i like my fish to contrast each other. If i keep the barbs in good numbers the neons would be fine and because of low waste i could get 5-6 right?

Same for cardinals?

Or how about leopard danio? Sorry i keep finding cool fish for sale on my favorite website!

Yeah .. sounds good ... unfortunately most Barbs do not have blue colorations so I'd have to say 5-6 each Cardinals, Neons and L-Danios sound good, but better off in a 40+ gal tank. Contrast all these fish with plants and you'll have a nice looking tank. A good filter and PWC's will also help keep your water clean.

Yeah .. sounds good ... unfortunately most Barbs do not have blue colorations so I'd have to say 5-6 each Cardinals, Neons and L-Danios sound good, but better off in a 40+ gal tank. Contrast all these fish with plants and you'll have a nice looking tank. A good filter and PWC's will also help keep your water clean.

Alright, thanks! I typed in all my info on Aq Advisor and it said it was fine! :D

Great! Can't wait to see pics!

Its gona be a while! I gota wait for a law settlement to come my way, should be here in a week or two, then im gona get a new filter new t5 lights new plants driftwood fish and other things such as a python! I did a final water sample at my LFS today readings are:
ammonia: 0
nitrites:0
nitrates:10

I keep 4 tiger barbs with 20 neon tetras in a 29 gal. They have been together for 2 weeks now and no aggresion at all. I am looking to get 2 more to prevent problems further along.

I really think the temper of the fish will determine the situation. I have 4 tigers with 7 black skirts, 2 clown loach and 1 albino tiger in a 36 GL

Its gona be a while! I gota wait for a law settlement to come my way, should be here in a week or two, then im gona get a new filter new t5 lights new plants driftwood fish and other things such as a python! I did a final water sample at my LFS today readings are:
ammonia: 0
nitrites:0
nitrates:10

Good luck on the settlement! I think your stocking plan sounds goods ... should give you good color variations.

Back
Top Bottom