BBA and metricide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, hate to beat a dead horse, but what size dose should I use in a 30g tank to treat BBA? I don't use any currently. Lights on 8hrs, T5ho. Also dose PPS pro as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Split your photo period to prevent new growth. It will also reduce it, but it takes months. Can't comment on the metricide.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have not dosed glut in a while but I believe I used 1-2 mL of half strength* glut per gallon of tank water. Rather than add randomly to the water column, I spot treated as much as possible.
Keeping up with water changes helps also. I have observed that if I skipped regular water changes that there was an increased likelihood of a BBA outbreak.
* 50:50 Glutaraldehyde + DI Water

I have not dosed glut in a while but I believe I used 1-2 mL of half strength* glut per gallon of tank water. Rather than add randomly to the water column, I spot treated as much as possible.
Keeping up with water changes helps also. I have observed that if I skipped regular water changes that there was an increased likelihood of a BBA outbreak.
* 50:50 Glutaraldehyde + DI Water

In the past I dosed straight glut, and I believe it was about 7 or 8 ml. I'm ver conscientious about water changes. I would spot treat, but it seems to be in the gravel, like on the tops of some stones. I've taken out stones that I see but new ones pop up

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. Eco-Complete granules with furry tops. Sometimes I siphon them off. Or spot treat them with glut or hydrogen peroxide.

What do you mean by spot treat? Is this a treatment out of water or a concentrated squirt at the source in water?

What do you mean by spot treat? Is this a treatment out of water or a concentrated squirt at the source in water?

The latter. If an item can be removed (DW for example) then I might pull it out of the tank

The latter. If an item can be removed (DW for example) then I might pull it out of the tank

Even with peroxide in the water? It won't hurt anything?

The link brings me to the right page, however, it quickly closes. Weird.
Anyhow, with either glut or peroxide you want to make sure any pumps, power heads, and filters are off during and at least 15-20 minutes after treatment. Less water movement increases contact time and effectiveness. Also, you don't want these chemicals running through the filter without allowing time for them to dissipate.

Link stays open for me?
#1 in the wrong way says you just listed the FIRST mistake.
Pumps and filters stay running.....
I have never shut down anything for spot treatments either.
Both chemicals are going to breakdown in X time regardless of flow.
By allowing maximum flow you can add maximum dose.
That is the most effective safe procedure.

I even tried web view and the same thing happens. Maybe an IOS thing? Anyhow, I have read about the 1-2 punch on TPT in another AA thread. Not arguing with its effectiveness of that method, just the logic of moving water and contact time. To me it's like spray painting on a windy day. It's doable, you just need more paint.

Back
Top Bottom