BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will carry this out for at least a week. Might do another trial on the straight well water to see if i get the same result. Crossing my fingers that the control does not melt!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Day 2 notes: the existing cholorosis the well water cup has not changed much. The stems in the control and plantex cup still look good. The stem in the iron cup has lost all the lower leaves but shows no cholorosis. The damage to the leaves is at the base.

This leads me to reason that yes iron can be toxic (at high levels). The well water remains to blame since the iron toxicity did not result in any cholorosis.

At least the end of the week. Id like to reperform it to see if i get similar results but we will see if i have any healthy stems i can use.

Science friday!! Or thursday...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Day 3 Notes: No changes.

I moved the CSM+B stem into the stem with well water to see if it will melt as my final confirmation.

Day 4: No real changes, a little more melting on the original control plant. No melting on the new stem in the cup though.

Tank update: Got the last bit of plants planted. I noticed some green hair algae on the tops on some of the plants. Im 99% certain it is due to not having the CO2 dialed in early in the week and it was lower than usual. I have it dialed in now and will clean it up during a large WC this weekend!

Today I also noticed some mermaid tips become deformed then send out new side shoots at the stem. The lower leaves are way more yellow almost showing an iron deficiency. I am going to take out the carbon pads and go back to the normal micro dosing.

Something also to consider is the phosphate and gsa in my tank. Maybe what ever the issue is is blocking the phosphate uptake in the plants. The plants really appear to have a phosphate deficiency but from my math and tests thats not the case. Is there any other nutrient that would hinder an uptake of phosphate?

I found an article describing phosphorus uptake in plants. Phosphorus in Soil and Plants According to this source, phosphorus uptake increases with a higher pH. Meanwhile, excess phosphorus can interfere with the uptake of other nutrients such as iron, manganese, and zinc.
The following article corroborates with this last point abut excess phosphate Phosphate Myths

Thanks for the article fresh! Even though the article is based on terrestrial plants we can still apply some concepts. Since i have adequate phosphate in the water column it leads me to believe organisms may have trouble absorbing phosphate but what could cause that...??

Wish I could help B, you guys lost me haha

Im going to change one cup to spring water. The one in the control cup has minor melting, but nothing like the well water cup.

I am moving in about a year, back to city water... At this point i may just throw in the towel and grow what i can. When i move ill probably tear down the tank and switch to aqua soil.

So Day 8? Update: The other stem in the well water cup has started to melt in the same manor as the first. The stems in the spring water and RO water have not melted. While this experiment is not 100% proof I think it points me in the right direction.

This weekend I may use a water source that does not travel through the softener and see what happens...

Science experiments are cool. Even though it's not precise, it's better than guessing what the issues are. Good on you B.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You use a water softener for any of your tank water?

I have the RO water hooked up to the laundry room sink. Our house water runs through a water softener. So yes indirectly the water gets softened then put through the RO.

Back
Top Bottom