BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmm, salt would be involved in the water softening process? Have you tested the salinity of your end water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Correct, I was going to get a TDS meter but I am holding off for now. I am more concerned about the bleach and citric acid we use.

Oh man... do you overdose prime for a few hours before using water?

I think Brook is on to something. I know that some water softeners are salt based, while others run off potassium pellets. Maybe time to switch?

No, i tried once no difference. I have never had issues with fish.

Im going to make water from the well that doesnt go through the softener. Straight from the ground to RO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Experiment update: I will be tearing down the experiment on sunday. Overall I think it was a success, the two stems in the well water melted away, the one in the ro water didnt melt as bad and the one in spring water didnt melt at all. I bought a TDS meter and a chlorine test kit. I also hooked up the RO/DI to a well source that doesnt go through the softener.

Side note: Tank update coming this weekend. Dr. Nano's Rotala Macandra has almost hit the top of the tank.....
img_3154941_0_aa95641eddb39d0155667f9a475934af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Glad you were able to answer some questions about the different water sources. Yea for the meter and chlorine kit.
Interesting that certain plants thrive while others melt.

Heres an update on the tank! Today I shuffled all the plants in the back except the pogo. Not really sure how I feel about it yet. Its a big mix of plants in there! The tank seems to be getting a little better every week. I also used RO water that did not pass through the water softener. We will see if there is any difference. The AR mini is actually starting to look better. Let me know what you think of the plant shuffle!
img_3156447_0_888739a556bf3195a708697d6f8c795b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3156447_1_fcfaee949cb87f6b97b483fcc11508f7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3156447_2_03bdf2ed2a2069ca7bc22b09ec9fd861.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I like it. Appears more balanced but not symmetrical.
Hopefully the new water source will prove safe for the AR and stars.

So I got the TDS meter and chlorine strips in the mail today. No surprise that the tank has 0 chlorine. Im going to try to hook up the TDS meter before I go to work in the morning... Im actually hoping for it to be the water but I have doubts....

So the TDS meter showed a PPM of 2 on the product water when using the softened water..... I didnt have time this morning to check the well. Now what could that 2ppm consist of....? Chlorine strips read a big fat 0 from the tank. My guess is it could be iron or something else....

I dont think 2ppm of salt would do any damage, people does aquarium salt all the time to higher levels and have no issues. I think it could be iron, ever heard of iron deposits from well systems?

If the pipes are iron than that could be a viable candidate. How old is the system? Cast iron def. Breaks down over time.

2ppm salt seems high. I read some params by SW people and most had 1.023(ppm?)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would the salt come up with a positive reading on the chlorine strip? Or no cause its the Na molecule not part of the reading? Man we need a chemist...

Also Brookster florida wells work differently. Our wells are drilled into the aquifer which is like an underground lake. It runs over limestone so it has a high GH meaning our softener works hard. We also get some natural trace salts.

Lets not forget all the facts... I used to be able to grow plants for the first 3 months with a new RO and new tank. I had a crazy repens carpet... The roottabs did nothing, im still not 100% convinced its the RO/DI but regardless i should have a TDS of 0.

Back
Top Bottom