BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What're you thinking? That it has something to do with the spectrum your light is producing?

sit in silence...

No definitely not spectrum. I do not think we will ever 100% know the cause. The main point of this was to try to get some confidence in my next move.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quick update: Everything is looking really well, the AR is the reddest i have seen in a long time and the s. repens looks really good. I want to try phase 3 which is to make co2 the limiting factor to see if the plants will melt but at the same time I don't want to destroy my plants.
img_3277336_0_882e7f147acd70f05890325ee907313f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3277336_1_c66771f16ce40393163ff42987be9bbd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So today marks part 3 of the experiment. Co2 is now the limiting factor. I upped the lighting a tick and lowered the BPS to about 1/2 BPS. The drop checker is barely green compared to the usual deep yellow. I put in the UV sterilizer to hopefully minimize the algae attack that will ensue. Another note is the tank seems a little cloudy. I think this is a bacteria bloom due to no substrate and no bio media in the filter. We will see what happens over the next few days.

So... are we a mad scientist these days or aquarist:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More of a scientist! Going to be an aquarist again soon.... Hopefully...

Lol!! I should make that my avatar

Alright so today marks a week since running the tank with low Co2. the drop checker stayed blue the entire time. No S.Repens melt, The other plants stunted but differently than how they did in the 26 gallon. If you notice the AR mini leaves did not twist like they did in the 26, the R.Mac did not develop the neon green splotches, and the ludwigia did not get smaller growth. Here are some picks of the experimental tank and the old pics from the 26.
img_3281888_0_d96bb124a220339ef0032797751e5cb2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3281888_1_882e7f147acd70f05890325ee907313f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3281888_2_85dc569d679a2bd3404bf461623b74be.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3281888_3_f581ca76d93c3ca2fc03e6ddb24490ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If anyone is looking for some pogo, bylxa or purple cabomba please message me!

I would get some... Just pretty sure it can't do good in my tank :(. You have a very nice tank BTW

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Thanks man! Much easier to maintain since moving the BML to the other tank.

Any update on the post from 9/16 (low CO2)? If the plants continue to do well, then what conclusion can we draw from this? The light has been decreased as well as the CO2. Less demand for the latter, I suppose.
Interesting how some plants thrive will others are a struggle.

Well that actually is an interesting story... So a few days after those pictures i decided to switch the tank back to high light high co2. This also included dirting the bottom. Within 3 days of finishing and at the new high light high co2 setting i saw the a.bonsai with a severe co2 deficiency and the s.repens(that i actually had to trim) melted. So now i have an assortment of plants in here we will see what happens... Im trying to move a bunch on plants in the 26 gallon out into another grow out tub so i can tear down the tank.

Wow, what a mess.
For some reason I really don't think it is some much the increased lighting and CO2 but more so on the transition to that point. I believe most plants are adaptable but they require time to adjust to the change in conditions.

I could see the argument for the transition for sure. Or the plant growth showing is slower to react to the conditions in the tank. Either way I do not care to find the exact reason anymore I just want to achieve some normal growth.

I could see the argument for the transition for sure. Or the plant growth showing is slower to react to the conditions in the tank. Either way I do not care to find the exact reason anymore I just want to achieve some normal growth.

I understand. Been following the countless posts charting your challenges for some time now. Point I'm making is that whatever changes you make, just do incremental steps.

The hard part is knowing how long to continue with a variable. It should be interesting if it comes back to life in the next two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom