BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dem reds...... And a rescape/reorganization/trim/overhaul.
img_3251234_0_f080c4605008ca9fae63218ef51bbc6a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3251234_1_78e3fd72e1fd7426145d7c130a85d93f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3251234_2_709b2ebeb68a90aab358fe167b720e48.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Maybe you guys could help me explain this one. I took out a small cup of eco complete from the tank and put it in a small dish. I filled the dish with pure RO water to see the effect of the pH with the ecocomplete. I measured the pH of the water and it was 6.0 or lower. I sealed the top of the cup and left it over night. This morning the pH was at 6.4. I am going to check it again later this afternoon to see if it continues to rise. Any thoughts on why this happened?

Yes its possible. The TDS in the cup was 25. I will do a full spectrum test later this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I fail to see the point in this???

Plants will grow in higher TDS as well as lower TDS

Your getting so hung up on numbers again

The point was to see if the eco complete has any effect on the pH/KH of the water. Some people have experienced an increasing pH levels in there tank with ecocomplete. Measuring the TDS was a way to see if something else cause the pH to change which could have happened due to nutrients being in there. I will know more later when i test the water more thoroughly. So the initial climb of pH may be indirectly related to the eco and more related to the increased TDS from the nutrients being released from the eco.

Yet star repens melt continue.....
img_3254663_0_1700a616749fb8139279142b86518e32.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've had S. repens in my tank twice and both times it melted and didn't thrive. I just tossed mine and tried Dwarf Hairgrass instead, which I'm more satisfied with. I think the plant likes certain water conditions more than others.

The point was to see if the eco complete has any effect on the pH/KH of the water. Some people have experienced an increasing pH levels in there tank with ecocomplete. Measuring the TDS was a way to see if something else cause the pH to change which could have happened due to nutrients being in there. I will know more later when i test the water more thoroughly. So the initial climb of pH may be indirectly related to the eco and more related to the increased TDS from the nutrients being released from the eco.

It would have been interesting if you added some controls to this experiment: two dishes with RO water only, one sealed and one unsealed. This might rule out CO2 influencing the ph shift.

Good point, the water from the RO reservoir has a pH of 6. The water with eco-complete is now up to 6.8. I put just some RO in a dish and sealed it similar to the eco to see if the same thing occurs.

Headlock might be an understatement.... Tank is doing okay though. Still seeing weird coloration on some leaves. Especially the rotala mac.

Here is an update. Its hard to tell on the macandra but there are neon green spots on the leafs. I moved the S repens tub to the small hex tank under a CFL. Not taking the transition very well... Im curious to see what happens in the hex compared to the big tank.
img_3260713_0_ae304f4d6c2b07fb87f3ca00217436aa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3260713_1_0b8f4f4b0441b4747aff34e26cefd015.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3260713_2_309dbbf5788ef44489f4f611d2165cca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3260713_3_6dfa6682e1011c8256d907e4e027be44.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a little photo editing to emphasize what I am referring to.
img_3260715_0_309dbbf5788ef44489f4f611d2165cca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've seen something similar with rotala macrandra except instead of flecks of neon green, the entire leaves turned green. This was in the shrimp tank were there was reduction in lighting, ferts, and CO2.
MO3KgmX.png

I have seen occasional flecks of green on the otherwise Ludwigia species 'red' in my planted tank. No idea why it happens but in almost all instances the green flecks disappeared.

I've seen something similar with rotala macrandra except instead of flecks of neon green, the entire leaves turned green. This was in the shrimp tank were there was reduction in lighting, ferts, and CO2.
MO3KgmX.png

I have seen occasional flecks of green on the otherwise Ludwigia species 'red' in my planted tank. No idea why it happens but in almost all instances the green flecks disappeared.

Where I see it is where some leaves are not getting enough light&once pruned back colors up fine. Similar to what Fresh described but not the same in respect..

20L Mafia...

Back
Top Bottom