BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its definitely not the lack of light... Could be spectrum but i doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stunting has returned. The plants in the 5 gallon hex are not melting so I think its safe to rule out the water. I am going to try to rule out light by lowering the BML to 10% and run the satellite plus.

What is going on here.....?? Healthy S.Repens and AR mini???
img_3270250_0_d4e9487afcb5d15396e7744f65ee7b61.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Remember the red solo cup experiment, it was a good thought but had some flaws. This is a more realistic version of that. I used the 5 gallon hex, with the florescent light, my old aquaclear filter and a DIY co2 system. Just wait till the second part of the experiment....

Quick little update. The 26 gallon is pretty much the same, I have lowered the lighting a little bit, not much change though. As for my little tank, the AR mini looks really good, I have about 4 stems of S repens that look pretty normal. One of the old stems had some good new growth then melted, so I trimmed it and replanted it so see if it would help and it kept melting. As long as the other 4 stems continue to look the way they do experiment part 2 will commence early next week. The R. Macandra and ludwigia I threw in there look fine just losing color from the low light.

Im confused?!?

So they are growing better now under lower lighting?

I have 3 or 4 stems that are growing well. One keeps melting though..

This is in the same tub of aquasoil with 100% RODI water a, aquaclear filter, a fluorescent light and some DIY co2.

Thats hopefully what we are going to figure out in part 2. Key word is hopefully!

Did someone say strap a jet engine to a go kart? The BML is dimmed to 50% to be the rough equivalent of the strength at 100% in the 26 gal. *I in no way endorse this much light on anyone's tank* I have no livestock in this tank and am pushing plenty of co2. For all the believers that algae is caused by a nutrient imbalance you will be interested *if* we make it to part 3.
img_3273448_0_4a38a4b1b51e17e3fd2b8c94cc2c6cc6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The only thing missing in that setup are sunglasses. Looking forward to the updates.

So far so good! If its the light, past history says it should melt anytime now.

What're you thinking? That it has something to do with the spectrum your light is producing?

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom