Beach sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live pretty close to Lake Michigan, and I'm wondering, can i use the sand from the beach for my aquarium?

It's tempting, but unless you know for sure the sand is pristine, I wouldn't risk it. I used to think beach sand should be fine ... it's natural! Then one day, I saw a bunch of people going off roading with their jeeps, dune buggies, tricked out trucks etc. Needless to say, I could see oily, creasy spots on the sand. I could just picture someone getting a bucket full of that sand and just plopping it into a tank with minimal rinsing / cleansing.

And if it's a recreational beach, you have all the people and the stuff they bring as well ... use your imagination. I just say go with either Pool filter sand or Playsand to be on the safer side. Even then, I boil any sand over and over ... it really helps to dislodge the fine dust that clings to sand particles.(y)

It's tempting, but unless you know for sure the sand is pristine, I wouldn't risk it. I used to think beach sand should be fine ... it's natural! Then one day, I saw a bunch of people going off roading with their jeeps, dune buggies, tricked out trucks etc. Needless to say, I could see oily, creasy spots on the sand. I could just picture someone getting a bucket full of that sand and just plopping it into a tank with minimal rinsing / cleansing.

And if it's a recreational beach, you have all the people and the stuff they bring as well ... use your imagination. I just say go with either Pool filter sand or Playsand to be on the safer side. Even then, I boil any sand over and over ... it really helps to dislodge the fine dust that clings to sand particles.(y)

Yeah, that makes sense. I thought that would be the most cheap, perfect alternative! But there could possibly be metals in the sand too and i don't need that!

LOL we visited a SW store recent, just to check the fish out, and my husband asked that question. The owner said with lots and lots of cycling/washing, sure, but it would be pain and you will be kicking yourself for not just buying sand.

I would never use sand from Lake Michigan, with all the stuff that water has in it can contaminate the sand. I'm not sure which area of Lake Michigan you want to get the sand from. It can depend on what region you are in as well. I would rather be safe though and not use it.

It is illegal to remove sand from most public beaches. So many people where doing it that it was eroding the beaches. A law was past that makes it illegal to remove sand from public beaches. Just like in parks it is illegal to remove trees, rocks, and plants. Plus all the pollution on beaches would be a problem.

It is illegal to remove sand from most public beaches. So many people where doing it that it was eroding the beaches. A law was past that makes it illegal to remove sand from public beaches. Just like in parks it is illegal to remove trees, rocks, and plants. Plus all the pollution on beaches would be a problem.

Gotcha, we own a private beach though so I don't think it would be a problem, but I'm not going to do it because there is bad stuff in the sand, plus people just let off fireworks all over the sand so I don't need that stuff in my tanks!

Back
Top Bottom