Beard algae, I shouldn't have done that...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're dosing that much per day, that's way too much.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What effect will excessive glut have? I called myself looking but I don't see a mention of if too much glut just wastes carbon or if it has a measurable effect.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

On several forums and amazon.com verified reviews there is mention of fish death. Some recommend starting low dose first then ramping up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish will definitely die with too much glut. They can acclimate to higher doses, but there's a limit. Too much glut always increases the fert requirement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been using and experimenting with Glut for years. I've dosed glut at a rate of 1ml glut to every 3/4 gallon daily for extended periods in high light tanks (my 220g). You don't just start using that high amount and you have to be aware that some fish such as small cory species and inverts can be sensitive to high dosing. So no, you are not dosing too much. Your tank will actually tell you if you overdose glut as the water will almost immediately cloud up and be clear by the next day. I've never had fish loss and my fish still spawn even in high dosing. I've been doing planted tanks for over 30 years.

The higher the light in a tank, the more CO2 or liquid carbon, and ferts are needed to supply plants what they need during faster growth in higher light. Also the higher the lighter the shorter the photoperiod. With the current lighting you are using if you don't want to high dose Glut daily using DIY CO2 would help a lot.

Actually higher phosphate levels and lower nitrates will allow plants to color up under high light. Phosphate is what plants use to change green plants to yellow/orange/pink/red. The color is like a sunscreen that protects plants under high light. You can check out my albums to see how intense colors can become. Iron is important but IMO phosphates are more important. I keep nitrates at 10ppm and phosphates from 3-5ppm. I don't add extra micro's including iron, just the normal weekly dosing of the dry ferts.

I also do not suggest using actinic lighting as it is in the very high blue spectrum which plants can't use. Plants do best in lighting from around 5000K to 10K.

=Rivercats;2985148.

I also do not suggest using actinic lighting as it is in the very high blue spectrum which plants can't use. Plants do best in lighting from around 5000K to 10K.

I'm also doing experiments with Actinic lighting in another tank. This is also in response to research I have done in regards to Actinic lighting and plants.

A) Research indicates that Actinic is at peak absorption of cloraphyll.

B) Plants growing under Actinic seem to grow big, dense, and bold in color. Of course
one can't tell color until one changes back to "white" light.

I have threads where I'm working this subject. My only reason, though, for using Actinic on my normal tanks is when handling annoying algal infestations.

You did answer a question about the glut though. I imagine most problems related to glut is actually due to shock (such as going from 1mL/10g to 15mL/10g in one dose/day).

I haven't dosed the H2O2 yet. I'll give it a week under Actinic and see if my molys can get ahead of what's left. They appear to be making some ground. I will do so next weekend if the algae persists.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Since you have spare tanks, I would just tear it down and start over. You already have seeded media and would able to rescape the tank also.

And honestly relying on mollies to take care of BBA is very unrealistic.

Back
Top Bottom