beginer with troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gunfragger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
somebody just gave me a 55 gal tank with fluval 305 just after the move of the tank and fish they got ick i treated with a three day treatment of rid-ich plus i put the sick catfish with the signs of ich in a new 10 gal tank an treated it but the 2 fish in my 55 have died without any signs 1 raphael and a pictus died in the 55 without signs of ich now my blood parrot is not himself anymore i also have african chiclids 6 and 2 tiger oscars and a single green teror plus 2 common plecos any help? i already raised the temp to aprox 82 from 75 average and added aqurium fresh water salt an for all the haters that tell me to upgrade i am in jan

Large water change to remove all the meds. Slowly increase the temp to 86-88F. Slowly add over a day 1 level tablespoon of salt per 5gallons of water. Increase aeration in the tank. Keep the temp and salt going for a minimum of two weeks even if all the ich appears to be gone. Do extra water changes during the two weeks. After treatment is done slowly decrease temp and remove salt by doing water changes.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
Ich is brought on by stress. Stress from poor water quality and overstocking.

i have a 300 watt fluval heater brand new cuzz i broke the other 1 but it wont heat past around 82

i have a second 1 in my med tank but i can get 1 in 2 days then maybe heat for 2 weeks an my pictus is also still have the ich growth on him (barley) visible now as compared to 3 days ago should i put him back in the main tank where it got ich or keep him isolated?

Yes! You need to get the heat up there. At certain temperatures, ICH multiplies like crazy and you dont want to spend too much time at that temperature, IIRC its in the low-mid 80's. There was a time when I had an ICH outbreak in my 55g tank years ago, and I had to keep the temp at 92f for 2.5 weeks. It was wild but I only suffered 1 fatality (my catfish) out of 15 fish.

You do not have to use medication, its not necessary and can kill off any good bacteria you have working for you. Bad, bad, bad.

Mumma was right - use aquarium salt - NOT iodinized salt, in the tank and get those temps up there and keep them stable for 2 weeks. It will get worse before it gets better, thats just the cycle of ICH. But if you keep the temp stable, the salt in the tank, vacuum the substrate every other day to get the ICH out thats fallen to the bottom - you might just come out of this ok.

As far as your fish acting not themselves, you are going to observe with an ICH outbreak - the whole situation is very stressful on fish - this but keep an eye on them. Get the meds out with some water changes and put some carbon in your filters if you have to get it out.

Re: your fish that died that "nothing appeared wrong" remember this: ICH can infest the gills where you cannot see it. There may be not 1 spot on the fishes body, but the interior gills might be infested. Not to mention, the temperature you have the tank at isnt high enough and you need to get aquarium salt in there ASAP.

Hope this helps. This site is great for situations like this, we all have lots and lots of experiences with aquaria crises....lol

gunfragger said:
i have a second 1 in my med tank but i can get 1 in 2 days then maybe heat for 2 weeks an my pictus is also still have the ich growth on him (barley) visible now as compared to 3 days ago should i put him back in the main tank where it got ich or keep him isolated?

Treat them all together. Sterilize you hospital tank and move the heater across. Just do a half dose of salt (1 tablespoon per 10g). The whole tank has ich not just the fish. The article I attached explains it all. :)

Back
Top Bottom