Beginner to saltwater aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely not! I made my sump for my 40 breeder out of a 20 long and just had 4 baffles made for it. I then siliconed them in place. Cost me probably $60-80 to make the thing. Here's some pics of my sump and you can kinda see how the baffles were put inIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0571.jpgIMG_0572.jpg

That seems like a great deal regardless of wether it holds water or not. .5 inch glass is very expensive and will not bust on you anytime soon. Like any hobby you get in what you put out. You can find great used equipment on Craigslist. I would just go with a skimmer and GFO/Carbon reactor in the sump and a Jeabo return pump. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the responses guys! I was thinking along those lines using a old tank to build a sump. Again, I was slightly confused with what I needed to incorporate. I'm
Going to research some more today and maybe It will start to
Click a little better.

Absolutely not! I made my sump for my 40 breeder out of a 20 long and just had 4 baffles made for it. I then siliconed them in place. Cost me probably $60-80 to make the thing. Here's some pics of my sump and you can kinda see how the baffles were put inView attachment 294973View attachment 294974View attachment 294975

That exactly what I'm planning as of now. I'm planning having my inlet discharge into a sock filter then draining into the protein skimmer side, apply baffles identical to your, have the middle section as a refugium then the return. Not sure about biological media aside from the refugium. Thinking carbon for sure. How I tie all of that in, I have no clue hahaha. I'm just going to plan it and make it happen before silicone anything into my sump.

Iv decided to go with 3 of the 165 W LED lights they sell on eBay. They are Chinese but from what I have read, it's a great bang for the buck. For the skimmer I decided to do the aquamaxx ConeS Q-2. These decisions were discussed with the guy at Mad Hatters Reef, so hopefully it will all do me well.

So, that's where I'm at haha. Going
To get the tank Monday. Then starting on the stand soon after.

I can't decide if I want to attempt to have the tank drilled.

Awesome skimmer choice. What coral do you intend to keep? Also do you plan on purchasing an RODI unit? I would love to see a full equipment list so we can see if you are missing anything.

Awesome skimmer choice. What coral do you intend to keep? Also do you plan on purchasing an RODI unit? I would love to see a full equipment list so we can see if you are missing anything.

Yes, a RO/DI unit is on the list. I will put you together an equipment list soon as I can. Still lots of things I need to decide on.

I do plan to make it a reef tank. Idk much about the different types, so I will prob decide that based on the light setup. I'm going to do fish only and live rock for awhile after everything cycles. I want the tank to get well established before I do corals. Way to expensive for me to take a chance on losing.

When I say cycle I mean without fish in it lol. Just the rocks then when my water Chem gets balanced add some fish.

As of now I want some inverts and clown fish. That's about as far as iv thought on fish.

Ok, this is what iv got so far. Bare with me on this. Iv also included prices! When I say got, I mean in a cart online lol not buying anything until I get the tank to inspect.

- 100 gallon long 72x18x18, .5 inch thick glass awuarium = $125

-aquatic life RO buddies 4 stage with DI attachment 50gpd = $86.87

-well Par 3 pcs 165 W LED = $318.69

-Aquamaxx ConeS Q2 in sump skimmer =$354.95

- worldwide imports Atlantic coral rock 40lb x 2 = 80lb = $98.50

- premium Caribbean 10lb live rock = $49

- Caribbean Sea agronite reef sand 40lb x 2 = 80lb =$103

-30lb live sand pure white agronite Chrystal reef brand 30lb x 2 = 60lb = $80

-instant ocean sea salt 200 gallon = $46.33

-agriculture solutions salinity refractometer =$20.94

-Sun sun JVP-102 1300 GPH WaveMaker powerheads (2-pack)= $15.20

With the sump I'm looking for a cheap 30ish gallon aquarium.
Still designing it. I seen where u advice some gfo and or carbon reactors. How do u tie them into a sump? And is a reactor necessary or can u just design the sump to pass through activated carbon and serve the same purpose.

So, that's it as of now. Thoughts?

I would honestly lose the sunsun wavemakers. I had 2 of the 530gph ones on my 29gal. They are dirt cheap and really aren't worth it. I would spring for 2 controllable ones. I think jaboe or something like that makes controllable ones that are fairly cheap and put out a lot of flow.

Jaebos are pretty good bang for your buck for "cheaper" powerheads! I have a smaller one on my 20 and it does some work. You're probably still looking at close to $100 for 2 bigger ones for your tank but that's fairly cheap for that size tank. Compared to like 2 vortech that could cost you close to a $1000 lol(even though vortechs are the best)

I'd recommend a stronger ro unit too, 50 gpd is gonna make it tough for you to do emergency wcs. It'll take about an hour to make a little over a gallon

Jaebos are pretty good bang for your buck for "cheaper" powerheads! I have a smaller one on my 20 and it does some work. You're probably still looking at close to $100 for 2 bigger ones for your tank but that's fairly cheap for that size tank. Compared to like 2 vortech that could cost you close to a $1000 lol(even though vortechs are the best)
I was thinking vortechs in my head haha. But I figured those were a bit of a jump from the 15$ sunsuns'. I put a mp10 on mine and got rid of the sunsuns' I will never buy anything but vortech ever again.

I would honestly lose the sunsun wavemakers. I had 2 of the 530gph ones on my 29gal. They are dirt cheap and really aren't worth it. I would spring for 2 controllable ones. I think jaboe or something like that makes controllable ones that are fairly cheap and put out a lot of flow.
Yeah, I was hesitant on the sunsun. I did get one of their canister filters and it's great. I researched the powerheads and had mixed reviews. Most everyone had no problem with how they worked but a few had experienced with wiring issues electrocuting fish, but that was only a few. I will check out some of the others u proposed.

So, my boss has a 55 gallon he will give me. It needs prayer but it doesn't leak and fully functional. I know bigger is better with a sump, but is that to big?

Another question, another reef guy I had talked to pushed this big apex thing on me. Allows u to control everything wireless with your phone. Looks sweet but also $800 lol product pusher it looks like, but he has been helpful so, I get it with sponsorships and stuff. Will any type powerstrip work to install under your tank for all the gadgets to be plugged into?

An apex is not needed but will be helpful in the long run. 55 sounds like a good sump size to me. I also recommend jeabo wavemakers

An apex is not needed but will be helpful in the long run. 55 sounds like a good sump size to me. I also recommend jeabo wavemakers
The apex looked awesome, but way to expensive for my purposes. Anything cheaper? I really don't need a thermometer or any probes bc I'm very relegious with water testing. I work as an ecologist, so iv kinda got that stuff programmed into my blood at this point.

Another option for power supply that will allow u to run lights on timers, etc? For much cheaper?

You don't need a controller, plain and simple. They can be nice, but not necessary.
You are looking for something that will put lights on a timer? Even places like walmart carry those dirt cheap timers you plug right into. I have them all over on things like my algae turf scrubber.

You don't need a controller, plain and simple. They can be nice, but not necessary.
You are looking for something that will put lights on a timer? Even places like walmart carry those dirt cheap timers you plug right into. I have them all over on things like my algae turf scrubber.
Good, bc I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on a glorified powerstrip lol. The lights I'm getting come with a remote and built in timer. Again, I watched some reviews online and people seemed to be blown away with the quality at the price point. On my planted tank I do a custom 27/7 mode. I like the simulation of dusk and dawn and I believe the fish like it as well. It's awesome watching them. Like stationary with moonlight and when the lights slowly come on they slowly Start moving. Lol kinda like me in the morning. I want to set something similar up with my saltwater tank. Just as natural as I can possibly make it.

Been at it again researching. If the tank allows I believe I'm going to go with the Herbie method on the overflow. I choose this bc of pros and cons iv found with it and the method where the overflow comes from the bottom of the tank. I like the idea from the bottom bc u can put the tank directly against the wall. However, I could understand how you could apply your return without having plumping behind the tank? Unless u also go from the bottom bit this would create another void area within the tank for the weir. I don't want to reduce eliminating tank space for inhabitants as much as possible. So, bc of that iv decided herbie.

The sump is going to be a 55 gallon tank. My tentative plans are having the overflow enter a camber with biological media (bio balls or something similar, then travel under a baffle into the skimmer chamber. These will be across from one another if room permits, if not I might try to tower the bio ball chamber, again of room permits. The a series of baffles leading into the refugium then into the intake pump chamber. Hopefully be able to add reactors as needed when I do coral or if I have issues.

From what iv read on plumping I'm going to use union fittings every chance possible.

Am I on the right track?

You don't want to have everything plumbed at the bottom of the tank. Besides the bottom pane being tempered glass and a pain to drill, if there was a power issue or something similar all of the water will drain out of the tank. Compare this to having the overflow out the back or sides of the tank, where once the water level drops below the overflow there is no longer any loss of water.

Back
Top Bottom