Best algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it depends on what kind of algae since algae eaters tend to eat specific algae/algaes and some algaes no algae eater will eat. IMO the best overall tank addition is nerite snails. They can't breed in freshwater so no population explosion. If your having an algae problem you need to post pics to identify what type it is so you can find out what you need to do to fix the problem. Algae eaters are not the answer to true algae problems but just help maintain small amounts of algae and bio-film that are in most all tanks.

Rivercats said:
Well it depends on what kind of algae since algae eaters tend to eat specific algae/algaes and some algaes no algae eater will eat. IMO the best overall tank addition is nerite snails. They can't breed in freshwater so no population explosion. If your having an algae problem you need to post pics to identify what type it is so you can find out what you need to do to fix the problem. Algae eaters are not the answer to true algae problems but just help maintain small amounts of algae and bio-film that are in most all tanks.

It's not that I have algae problems it's just I will be getting rid if my pleco and if he's not there then the algae will be. And I think it's just the normal kind of algae on the walls

Attachments

• image-3831434074.jpg
    image-3831434074.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 123
Then I would suggest nerites since it's a discus tank. Some people use Bristlenose pleco's and or Oto's but IMO I think the proper amount of nerites would work well for what you want.

Rivercats said:
Then I would suggest nerites since it's a discus tank. Some people use Bristlenose pleco's and or Oto's but IMO I think the proper amount of nerites would work well for what you want.

And how many is that? And your sure nitrates wont chew on my plants?

(y) oto cats are tiny, they are INCREDIBLE at cleaning up and are next to nothing on bioloads... Plus they are absolutely adorable!! And I'm a huge fan of fiddler crabs- but they are a little bit of a hassle to maintain.

Nerites are plant safe and are great at keeping their leaves clean. I have about 40 in my 220g. I'd do about 15-20 in your 75g. Also if you can find the smaller horned nerites they are the fastest workers. Olive nerites are easy to find and do a great job. Tiger nerites are the largest but come in all types of shell patterns and a couple different colors. I have a mix of Tigers and Olives as there were no Horned ones available. I am planning on adding them when I can find some.

I was about to ask this because I have a similar tank, 75g tall planted discus tank and was looking for something that can tolerate the high temps. Thanks guys!

Was looking on aqua bid and found ramshorns snails also and some looked really cool as well as they are cheap. are these discus/live plant safe?

Fish4bass8 said:
Was looking on aqua bid and found ramshorns snails also and some looked really cool as well as they are cheap. are these discus/live plant safe?

They're definitely plant safe but they breed like crazy. Add a couple and you'll end up with them everywhere. Get nerites. Ottos are also awesome.

Yes they are plant safe but get large AND you'll end up with zillions of them if you overfeed. They are breeding machines! That is why I prefer nerites, they can't reproduce in freshwater.

Rivercats said:
Yes they are plant safe but get large AND you'll end up with zillions of them if you overfeed. They are breeding machines! That is why I prefer nerites, they can't reproduce in freshwater.

Ok so no to the ramshorn. How about 24 zebra nitrite snails for $36?
Or 20 olive nitrates for $20

I recently purchased about 20 nerites from AquaBid from a guy named Joey, forgot the username but they were the olive ones and they arrived great and once I put them in the immediately stuck themselves to something and went to work. Just a suggestion for where to buy- I got about 20 for I think $15.

Back
Top Bottom