Best algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Algae on my glass ! It's a new tank no fish but I used insta cycle is that why I have a 18 watt what should I do?

How long are you currently running the lights for, this is the usual cause for algae.

I think I run it too long and yes the green spot one

Green spot is due to good parameters and much lighting. Reduce lighting, will help decrease their growth. No fishs/shrimps eat that, must be manually removed with scrubbing sponge (no steel whool, just the yellow sponge with a green scrub pad)...

If it's glass aquarium you can remove it via sharp razor blade. When I had this problem, I waited that there's spot everywhere, then give a good razor blade shot.

If you have others algae like staghorn, green hair, siemensis algae eater are great, gyrinochellius CAE too... Don't go with pleco, they require 100g+

I had a big algae problem in my 10g, so I have put a small gyrinochellius for 3 month. Once algae problem finished, I gave it, because It would have outgrow my tank fast.

I have a similar problem- would nerite snails help at all?

Nothing help with spots I think... In my case I had pond snails and I never had green spots problems... but I'm running very very high light for 6hrs/day, no more.

Now my ponds snails are dead by killer snails. No more green spots... I just think you need to clean the glass.

Anyway you must clean the glass once a week, or when it become nasty, that's the aquarist job, unfortunatly...

Where is Rivercats when we need her??? Haha. Algae is caused by an imbalance in certain nutrients, CO2 levels, and light. She knows all about it and I'm sure she would know exactly how to help you! Might be worth sending her a pm.

Back
Top Bottom