Best CA flake food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lionsi will not eat thera + a with garlic. 1mm sinking. First fish I have had that wont. He has taken it and spits it back out immediately. He will eat flakes and anything else I give him. I have only had him since Friday night but he settled right in. He's only about 2.5 to 3 inches and in the tank by him self. Also will come to the top of the tank as soon as I open either lids so I know he's hungry. I have Omega 1 cichlid flakes that he devours but was wondering what was the best for health and growth. So what's best in flake form? Does NLS make flakes? And do you think it could just be that he don't like the garlic.
Thanks

I have a 800g bucket of NLS flakes I bought last year when my fish room was running, your welcome to have them for free.

I'd recommend fasting the fish for a few days then re-introduce him to Thera. I've had a few hold outs over the years but I've never had a fish not take to them after a short time.

Thanks again HUKIT. Ill give the fasting a try. I did that with my daughters hybrid and it worked but he's huge and could probably go weeks with out eating. My concern was how young this guy is and want the best growth and health for him. What he does is grab the pellet before it even sinks spits it out and grabs it again then spits it out and follows it to the bottom. Swims around it looking at it then swims away. If the fasting don't work Ill take you up on the flakes. Are they the same ingredients as the pellets? Again thanks for the advice and help.

The flakes are as good as other brands like Omega One but are by no means a staple for large cichlids. It would cost a fortune and make a huge mess trying to grow out large fish on flake alone. I did this back in the dark ages when I had my sweet undergravel filters!

Oh under gravel filters WOW. I had 2 tanks in the late 80s with them and the air driven internal that you filled with carbon and floss. I also had a clown knife with little tetras and couldn't for the life of me figure out why tetras disappeared over night.

I am probably way too ignorant to say anything, but if it's young, is it remotely possible the food is too big? I've been surprised how many of mine do exactly as you describe with the 1mm but gobble up the 0.5mm.

But I only have small fish, and as I understand yours is a big fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I am probably way too ignorant to say anything, but if it's young, is it remotely possible the food is too big? I've been surprised how many of mine do exactly as you describe with the 1mm but gobble up the 0.5mm.

But I only have small fish, and as I understand yours is a big fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

No he's only about 3" but I have Cleithracara maronii between 2 and 3" that eat it like candy. The Lyonsi has no problem ripping krill apart and has a fairly big mouth. I called the shop I got him at and asked what they were feeding while they were there and was told strictly blood worms so I think that's the problem. I'm slowly switching him over by soaking the pellets in blood worm juice.

Back
Top Bottom