Best fish to add first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joany

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm stocking a newly cycled 55 gallon, and would love advice on the best plan to add and acclimate fish.

I have a mosquito fish and 2 girl guppies (from my daughter's school--got us started on this whole fish thing)

Am thinking about:

1 Pearl gourami
5 Boeseman rainbows
10 cardinal tetras
5 panda Cory cats

Does that seem fully stocked? Best fish to add first? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Up the Pandas to 6-8 if you can. Larger numbers are great if you have room. Smooth sand is best, rounded gravel is ok.

Just remember Pandas like things a bit cooler. 76f is ok.

Thanks. I really appreciate you took the time to help! I am using Eco complete as my substrate--will that be ok for the pandas? And I'm. Thinking about maybe getting platies instead of the cardinal tetras. Would that work?

Thanks. I really appreciate you took the time to help! I am using Eco complete as my substrate--will that be ok for the pandas? And I'm. Thinking about maybe getting platies instead of the cardinal tetras. Would that work?

Yep, those both will work fine. Sand is best with cories, but gravel will be fine as well as long as it isn't super sharp.

People worry that gravel will hurt them and wear down their barbels but 9 times out of 10 when their barbels get worn down it is because the tank isn't clean enough.

Thanks!

Keep an eye on the mosquito fish. I've heard lots of people say that they can be aggressive.

Keep an eye on the mosquito fish. I've heard lots of people say that they can be aggressive.

Right now Freddy the mosquito fish is sharing a 4 gallon tank with two girl guppies. He was a bit of a jerk at first, but has since apologized and is behaving like a gentleman. Can't wait to see the look on his face when he gets into the 55 tank for the first time. He's done pretty well for a fish that started out in a 2 liter Coke bottle in a 5th grade classroom.

Hi joany,
I had boesemanis in my 55. It was fine, but they are super active and I ended up giving them to someone with a bigger tank. Make sure you have hiding spaces for them, they're chasers :)
They're pretty hardy IME.
I don't know what's best to add first, I don't think you're going to have to worry much about territory issues, but if you're looking for something a little more forgiving of any minor blips in water parameters I would say either the livebearers or rainbows to start. I would add the cories once the tank is stabilized. For me, I've always had the most difficulty with pandas (of all my cories) as far as sensitivity is concerned, but they are awesome fish.
Good luck!

Thanks! Appreciate the advice.

I agree, pandas seem to be one of the more delicate cories. Sounds like a nice tank though!

Back
Top Bottom