Best fish to get rid of green and brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks97cobra

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank:
75 Gallon
Black Ghost Knife, bout 6 inches
1 L199 Pleco
2 Peppered Cories
2 Bleeding Heart Tetras
1 5" Angelfish
10 Hatchetfish
1 4" Pictus Catfish

How old is the tank? How long are the lights on? How much light? Does it get any direct sunlight? What are your test readings?

The bulldog/rubbernose pleco cleaned my wifes tank over night. She had all sorts of algae.

Lights are on a timer, 10 hours. The lights are 2 F40 65 watt bulbs. No direct sunlight. I haven't tested the water in forever. None of the fish ever die... last time I had a fish death was when the tank caught ick (which explains the low number of Bleeding Hearts and Corys). I was thinkin of just gettin a common pleco or a bunch of otos. Tank has been up for about 5 months.

The best fish to get rid of algae is not even a fish, it's the hobbyist. The brown algae sounds like diatoms and the green sounds like green spot (if in circles on glass). This is easily removed mechanically (the green spot can be removed with a razor blade).

Most of this is due to excess nutrients from fish food. Try reducing the amount of food and keep up on water changes.

Back
Top Bottom