Best way to clean tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As in a tank in use? Or between builds?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

Step 1 - Rid the glass of algae (using an algae scrubber or magnet)

Step 2 - Scrub any decor that you might want cleaning (rocks and such can simply be scrubbed by a wire brush and left in some tank water you will remove later)

Step 3 - Turn off your heater (not essential but if you perform a large water change the heater could malfunction due to being cooled and heated at once)

Step 4 - Clean the substrate (using a gravel cleaning syphon, depending on the substrate you'll either want to skim the surface or dig deep down)

Step 5 - If cleaning the substrate didn't get rid of enough water then simply syphon out some more.

Step 6 - This is the time you'll want to clean your filters (if they need it), you should know how to do this.

Step 7 - Mix together the water you will be replacing from the tap and condition it with a chosen conditioner, I use Fluval Tap Conditioner (follow the guide on how much to use)

Step 8 - Add the water back and turn on your heater, feel free to let the water mix in more thoroughly before adding (a good half hour should be enough for freshwater, a good few days for saltwater)

Step 9 - Wait a few weeks and do it again.

?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom