Betta blocking cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megalofyia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a cave for my khuli loaches to hang out in if they wanted to but my betta has decided that he is going to block the entrance? How common is it for a betta to want to hang out at the bottom of a tank? And how common is it for a betta to want to hang out JUST at the entrance of a cave? It's not like he is just near the cave his body might as well be the door to the cave the way he is situated.

My bettas practically burrow under the large rocks in mine when they go to sleep sometimes. Not sure about the whole blocking the cave thing.

I have a betta that actually hides beneath a piece of bogwood. Scared me at first but as he's eating and swimming up for air perfectly fine, i dont worry about a thing.

Check your temperatures tho, maybe the coolest spot is right over there or the light doesnt hit that hard...

Who knows, each betta has their own behaviour.
Gluck tho

Oh I hadn't even considered the temperature thing. It is probably one of the coolest spots in the tank. Perhaps I may think of adding another cave when I get more money.

My betta digs the gravel [ a very fine gravel, almost sand-like ] out from under a huge chunk of rock I have in there and wedges himself in there on his side.

Hes perfectly healthy.

Hes just a wooky little thing.

In the couple of years that I have kept Bettas I have learned that you can never tell what they will do next.They are one of the funniest fishes to watch.

Of course my parents also have a gourami that has decided to take over the fly fox cave. He even has to swim into it on his side to fit. Who can tell what these crazy fish want out of life. As long as they eat and look good then let them do what they want I guess. :D

RogerMcAllen said:
My bettas practically burrow under the large rocks in mine when they go to sleep sometimes. Not sure about the whole blocking the cave thing.

That's where I found one of mine, under a rock, dead. Don't know if she couldn't get out or something was keeping her in.

Mine don't die, but one of them gets all bent and jams its way down, looks very dead until the fish runs up for a breath of air.

Who can tell what these crazy fish want out of life. As long as they eat and look good then let them do what they want I guess.

Haha, tkos, I love that because it is so true. My betta sleeps at the bottom of his bowl occasionally, although there are no rocks there. Usually, he sleeps in his plant, though.

I agree with anyone else, as long as he is still apparently healthy you shouldn't worry. I was a little concerned when you said he wants to "JUST hang out" there. He's still swimming out to eat and get air right? In my admittedly short experience, I have found that the best indicator of a fish's health is always whether or not it's eating. As long as he's eating, I'd say not to worry.

Oh yeah this betta eats.. he eats far too much..
That is actually another little problem I have with him because the glass cats don't get enough food because of him and he is getting REALLY fat!!! I have another betta in a different tank and I've been thinking of switching them out for a while just so this fat one can lose some weight. It's really not funny how fat he's gotten stealing all the glass cat's food.

Back
Top Bottom