Betta fish lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read an blog once about betta fish and their lighting needs. It said that bettas do NOT like like and that they enjoy shade because in the wild, the water is dark with tannins and there are lots of plants to provide shade. Is that true? Do bettas need a light cycle to let them know when to sleep? How long should my bettas lights be on?

I don't think it matters much to them. As long as its dark at night for them to sleep. But, that's just what I think watching mine. I don't use my light much. Maybe once a week. I have enough light coming in the house with my windows and lamps. But I also have some lily pads on top too. He likes them for shade.

If you were talking about wild bettas, you would be better with subdued lighting however, if you are talking about a manufactured betta, lighting shouldn't be an issue. Bright lights however, are not necessary and if your fish is hiding more under bright lights, reduce the light amount and time.
As previously stated, you should have a day and night cycle so that the fish can sleep. That said, you can use your light as a trigger to let the fish know that food is coming soon. So, if you use a timer, you can leave the light off while you are not there and have it turn on shortly before you are there to get the fish primed to feed and swim about ( or be in "day action mode" ). If you have ambient light where the fish is, you won't need to have your lighting on for more hours than when you are watching the fish. It will sleep when that light goes dark. (y)

If you were talking about wild bettas, you would be better with subdued lighting however, if you are talking about a manufactured betta, lighting shouldn't be an issue. Bright lights however, are not necessary and if your fish is hiding more under bright lights, reduce the light amount and time.
As previously stated, you should have a day and night cycle so that the fish can sleep. That said, you can use your light as a trigger to let the fish know that food is coming soon. So, if you use a timer, you can leave the light off while you are not there and have it turn on shortly before you are there to get the fish primed to feed and swim about ( or be in "day action mode" ). If you have ambient light where the fish is, you won't need to have your lighting on for more hours than when you are watching the fish. It will sleep when that light goes dark. (y)
So the main thing is, I should only have my light on when I'm watching my fish or when I'm feeding him, and that I only need the light to let him know it's day?

If the rest of the room is dark, then a lighting schedule should be set. If there is some natural light ( ie through a window) in the room and the fish responds to it by being "awake", then only when you are watching should be enough. (y)

Back
Top Bottom