Betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So guys I saw this betta fish at pet smart for two dollars it was on sale and I instantly wanted it he was gorgeous! But I didn't buy it because I don't have a home for him atm I was thinking about getting a five gallon since petco has that a dollar a.gallon sale or.should.I.do ten? Would he be happier.in a ten gallon? Also do they need filters I heard they didn't like water.movement so I'm not sure if.I.should buy a filter for him I've kept fish for a while but I have no experience with bettas so.if you expert betta.keepers.could lend a helping.hand.that would.be awesome :)

Sent from my C6606 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So guys I saw this betta fish at pet smart for two dollars it was on sale and I instantly wanted it he was gorgeous! But I didn't buy it because I don't have a home for him atm I was thinking about getting a five gallon since petco has that a dollar a.gallon sale or.should.I.do ten? Would he be happier.in a ten gallon? Also do they need filters I heard they didn't like water.movement so I'm not sure if.I.should buy a filter for him I've kept fish for a while but I have no experience with bettas so.if you expert betta.keepers.could lend a helping.hand.that would.be awesome :)

A betta would delighted in either size. Yes, they do need a filter, but one with a gentle flow because they have big fins that make them clumsy swimmers. Also, try avoiding a filter with an intake filter stock, they like to wrap themselves around them and beat up their fins. An intake vent would be better for them. The main question is: do you want to have tankmates? If yes, then grab a 10g. If not, then they will be forever grateful for a 5g.

A betta would love either tank! As for the filter, we have monkeyd around and found buffers. We have an Aquenon 10 for up to 20 gallons on both our 10 and 5g tanks. We used these to put on the intake so he doesn't damage his fins, and also where the water pours out of the filter so it's barely noticeable unless he's right near it. Our betta is fine with this, and so are our little pygmy catfish.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/cache..._Fluval-Edge-Pre-Filter-Sponge_1w400-h400.png
http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5147341_main_t300x300.jpg

We got them in the first packaging, but, it looks like they have new packaging, so I included both images.

Of course, there are different filters you can get. We just got a 10g kit that came with it, so we stuck with it.

I agree with SuomiBetta, if you're going to get him or her some friends, 10g is good, otherwise a 5. Our betta just loves his 10g. The pygmy catfish we have are hopefully joining him in a couple of weeks. :D

A betta would love either tank! As for the filter, we have monkeyd around and found buffers. We have an Aquenon 10 for up to 20 gallons on both our 10 and 5g tanks. We used these to put on the intake so he doesn't damage his fins, and also where the water pours out of the filter so it's barely noticeable unless he's right near it. Our betta is fine with this, and so are our little pygmy catfish.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/cache..._Fluval-Edge-Pre-Filter-Sponge_1w400-h400.png

We got them in the first packaging, but, it looks like they have new packaging, so I included both images.

Of course, there are different filters you can get. We just got a 10g kit that came with it, so we stuck with it.

I agree with SuomiBetta, if you're going to get him or her some friends, 10g is good, otherwise a 5. Our betta just loves his 10g. The pygmy catfish we have are hopefully joining him in a couple of weeks. :D

I wish I had seen these sooner. I've had some ditzy bettas that destroyed their fins on filter stocks >. <

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

5 gal does not qualify for the $1/gal sale. It's only 10g and larger. It's who the the $10 IMO. Then you can put that betta in your home in a nice size tank and look around for tank mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I wish I had seen these sooner. I've had some ditzy bettas that destroyed their fins on filter stocks >. <

They're a bettasaver! Also they are one more place for BB to grow ;)

We were like hrrrmmm what can we do for him (this was before putting him in the 10g!)... and we saw those and they were PERFECT :D

Yeah and 5g are usually more $ than 10g because they are custom size. That's what our lfs told us anyway. Our 5g was $10 more than the 10g they had in stock!

They're a bettasaver! Also they are one more place for BB to grow ;)

We were like hrrrmmm what can we do for him... and we saw those and they were PERFECT :D

I will definitely keep an eye out for them if for what ever reason I have to cushion my filter! So far Ragnar is not hurting himself.

They're great! We get them for $2.99 each but got lucky and we found two for $1.50 each one time. We have found them at lfs and PetCo. We have two on each filter right now. Since they were all in use, I bought one more as a spare. I like to have a spare. They'll be used until they are almost falling apart anyway, but, it's still good to have a spare.

I'm glad he's not hurting himself so far :D

They're great! We get them for $2.99 each but got lucky and we found two for $1.50 each one time. We have found them at lfs and PetCo.

I'm glad he's not hurting himself so far :D

Good to know! Though I think I found the perfect betta filter. Gentle and no place to stick fins into!

These are nice little pieces to have. Pantyhose are just as effective and usually on grandmas clothesline.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Suomi Betta,
:)

Would you mind posting a link if you can find one? We may get a betta for hubbys mom when we are done with the 5g tank and may not want to use such a large filter in it as we are now.

The fluval prefilter also was PERFECT on this tank for the output of water:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-AQE17100-Evolve-Aquariums-2-Gallon/dp/B00BUFRQ0G

Our betta hated it, and before we got the 10g, we had such a hard time figuring out how to buffer it. It bothered him so much so we kept turning off the filter :( Also if we didn't, he would cling to the intake area. Not good. We put a plastic tube over it to push into the gravel, but that just made the water a little cloudy for a couple days... but when we were treating him with salt in there, we put the fluval prefilter on and IT WAS PERFECT! :D

Suomi Betta,
:)

Would you mind posting a link if you can find one? We may get a betta for hubbys mom when we are done with the 5g tank and may not want to use such a large filter in it as we are now.

The fluval prefilter also was PERFECT on this tank for the output of water:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-AQE17100-Evolve-Aquariums-2-Gallon/dp/B00BUFRQ0G

Our betta hated it, and before we got the 10g, we had such a hard time figuring out how to buffer it. It bothered him so much so we kept turning on off the filter :( Also if we didn't, he would cling to the intake area. Not good. We put a plastic tube over it to push into the gravel, but that just made the water a little cloudy for a couple days... but when we were treating him with salt in there, we put the fluval prefilter on and IT WAS PERFECT! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-A131-I25-Internal-Filter/dp/B0032GCCP0 this is my filter. It's only rated for a 5g tank.

Back
Top Bottom