Betta Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest that looks like saprolegnia to me. Maybe, there's something causing a primary infection and saprolegnia is appearing as a secondary infection?

OP needs to go back to link provided by Mebbid and read both sections on columnaris and saprolegnia.
It is a good start to understanding and possibly coming up with a good treatment plan.The whole tank needs to be treated IMO!

Stay away from copper!
Look into kannamyacin.
If you use copper make sure you have a copper test kit and know how to use it .
The reason copper works on so many things?
Copper kills!(check what I do for a living!)
Read the link mebbid posted on page 1 of this thread.

Stay away from copper!
Look into kannamyacin.
If you use copper make sure you have a copper test kit and know how to use it .
The reason copper works on so many things?
Copper kills!(check what I do for a living!)
Read the link mebbid posted on page 1 of this thread.

I know how to use copper I have had to use it before. And I will read the whole link.

I was using the tetra fungus guard but I think it was already to late when I started using it which was Yesterday night. I am thinking about using copper would that work?

I can't really comment on copper as have never tried it on bacterial / fungal infections. Over to others/above post.

A primary bacterial (numerous fish infected with quick deaths) and secondary fungal (large white growth looks like in pic) imo I would treat for.

Fungal and bacterial I've seen look very similar but fungal I've found always grows up above the skin/scales to the point where it is catching tank debris in bad cases. Bacterial I've found to be more compact, various colours/lesions and eats into the skin/scales. I'm sure there would be all sorts of cases though.

So I would still stick with the tetra fungus guard to cover bacterial and fungal and considering parasites doesn't sound likely (particularly in neons).

Adding kanaplax would help with bacterial infections. Almost any med seems to help with low level bacterial infections (even pimafix), for advanced cases antibiotics is chosen. This is ime, others could have more to add.

I would also add a half dose of MB if the tetra fungus guard isn't making a difference. This is the best I know of here for fungus.

I think the meds need a day or two to start to work so this would be getting into desperation stage of trying to kill the infection off faster as the fish will be dead in a few days. (That's the trouble with bacterial infections like columnaris when they are fast acting - by the time we react to it, we can be just trying to save remaining fish).

The reason I suggest MB is it would also help carry oxygen in the fish. Useful as the fish has reduced gill capability.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Methylene_blue

Its gonna suck to clean out vthe tank. I have a layer of rocks on top of a 1.5" layer of play sand which took 6 days to settle.

Tank and sub should be "sterilized" some how.
Bleach or potassium permanganate would be my choices besides a stronger bleach(pool shock!).
Most with the disease in mind would dispose of the sub.
Sorry about all your fish!

Unfortunate. The disease is very likely still to be hanging around.

I must confess I'm a bit dissatisfied. What are thoughts from all on if there was a repeat of this for a treatment plan??

I've been thinking more on dips.

An antibiotic and an antifungal simultaneously. With the severity of the infection the risk of the stress of two treatments is probably warranted. My suspicion is primary columnaris and secondary saprolegnia.

I Whipped columnaris with PP in a sword tail breeding tank over a year ago.:whip:
I had to euthanize all visibly weak,infected fish ,but after 2-3 pp treatments never saw it again for over 8 months.I still euthanized all swords as could not sell anything questionably healthy.
My 120 fowlr ate swords for 2 weeks straight!
I had three years into my own "showas" from common stock!
Most should just try kanamycin IMO.
I do think it was columnaris.

....You fed swordtails that had been exposed to columnaris to your reef tank!? You're a brave fishkeeper, CB.

....You fed swordtails that had been exposed to columnaris to your reef tank!? You're a brave fishkeeper, CB.
They had been "clean " for 8+ months.
Not a reef tank, a predator fowlr(lionfish, grouper, moray eel).
3 fish that don't die easy when given a 120 g to themselves!

I have a question. If i left the tank without a host for the disease would the disease die off on its own or will have to clean the tank out completely and add new sand. Sorry if i sound lazy but the sand took an hour to clean and it was still cloudy for days.

Hard to say since we don't know for sure what the actual infection was. But I would say if you leave it for a few weeks the disease is likely to die off. Would go slowly adding new fish though just in case.

Back
Top Bottom