Betta Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Columnaris is documented to last up to 30 days without host at least if not longer.
If you don't have live plants you could sterilize without shutting tank down.
Just bleach it and let the bleach evaporate over the waiting period.

Actually I thought of a better idea. A coldwater tank with a mountain stream theme: Hillstream loaches and mountain minnows.

Actually I thought of a better idea. A coldwater tank with a mountain stream theme: Hillstream loaches and mountain minnows.

Oh man this sounds like the most awesome idea to me. Maybe that's because I'm a loach fanatic. But you could totally get some sinibotia in there and it would be AMAZING

Edit: what size tank is this again?

Oh man this sounds like the most awesome idea to me. Maybe that's because I'm a loach fanatic. But you could totally get some sinibotia in there and it would be AMAZING

Edit: what size tank is this again?

what kind of loaches would do best in fast flowing water?

what kind of loaches would do best in fast flowing water?

Basically all of them- they all really like strong current. As far as I know, all loaches originate from fast flowing riverine environments. In fact, I would go so far as to say that creating an aquarium with too much current for any kind of loach would be nearly impossible in a standard aquarium setting. Every loach which I have kept in both a slower and faster flow setup has seemed vastly happier in a fast-flow setup.

Really, the better question is, what loaches need a high flow setup? Some of them will do fine without, while for others it's practically a requirement.

I Whipped columnaris with PP in a sword tail breeding tank over a year ago.:whip:
I had to euthanize all visibly weak,infected fish ,but after 2-3 pp treatments never saw it again for over 8 months.I still euthanized all swords as could not sell anything questionably healthy.
My 120 fowlr ate swords for 2 weeks straight!
I had three years into my own "showas" from common stock!
Most should just try kanamycin IMO.
I do think it was columnaris.

Thanks both for the replies. I've managed success with just triple sulpha (albeit the only one). I've seen others with h2o2, acriflavine and pimafix get a cure (truly!). I've had some success with salt 'cleaning' off the worse of the infection.

I am starting to wonder if a dip at the start would be useful. Thoughts?

Edit - I've also picked up a medicated fish food (romet) but never (thankfully) had to try it.

http://www.aquafinn.com/products-minnfinn_med_feed.htm

http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/sulfadxx.htm

Last edited:
Basically all of them- they all really like strong current. As far as I know, all loaches originate from fast flowing riverine environments. In fact, I would go so far as to say that creating an aquarium with too much current for any kind of loach would be nearly impossible in a standard aquarium setting. Every loach which I have kept in both a slower and faster flow setup has seemed vastly happier in a fast-flow setup.

Really, the better question is, what loaches need a high flow setup? Some of them will do fine without, while for others it's practically a requirement.

My LFS sells Borneo Hillstream loaches that are babies so I will probably get some from there.

Back
Top Bottom