Betta in 2gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corinne118s

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! I have an extra (really cool) 2gal deskstop aquarium. Not sure what to do with it but I think I want to venture into the betta world (seems like EVERYONE has one). The tank is filtered and can fit a small heater if necessary. Is 2gal too small? I'm getting mixed messages. Please let me know!

If 2gal is OK give me some set-up ideas! I'd like to use sand

I would use it for a betta you could have dark sand /gravel to bring the betta out or something.

ok great! I have some leftover white sand I'll use and plant it. Does it matter what plant goes in? Would driftwood be too much?

Also does it matter what type of betta? The stores i've looked at have TONS of options its overwhelming.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a newbie!

Usually 2.5g is the accepted minimum for a Betta but 5g is usually better. That being said if you can keep up your water changes I'd say it'll be ok. I'd suggest a smaller female though.

corinne118s said:
ok great! I have some leftover white sand I'll use and plant it. Does it matter what plant goes in? Would driftwood be too much?

Also does it matter what type of betta? The stores i've looked at have TONS of options its overwhelming.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a newbie!

Mumma is right about all that but you will have to make sure to do PWC. I would also say a female betta but you can have whatever kind (crown tail , double tail ,moon) . A small piece of drift wood I guess would be okay. Bettas don't eat plants and are compatible with all freshwater so any I think are okay .

Here is a list of some other betta species: Betta Species
Some of these might be better than a betta splendens. Personally, I wouldn't put a betta splendens in a 2g tank.
What are the dimensions of the tank?
What about least killifsh?

There are multiple trains of thought about betta housing. People do not agree about what is an acceptable minimum. Its just one of those things where you should do what you are comfortable with and what you think is good for the fish. :)

corinne118s said:
What about ADFs? How many could I keep in there?
I think the minimum size for them is a 5g.I looked through the list of betta species and there were 5 or so that could be kept in pairs in a 2.5g. You could do a really cool heavily planted shrimp tank with maybe a single endler?

Congrats on your 100th post! :)

Thanks how do I tell it's my 100th? I'm on mobile.

I didn't know that about adf. I had one in a half gal for like 5 years when I was younger. Oops.

I'll look into a shrimp tank maybe i could Breed them as food later on

I'd highly suggest RCS if you go the shrimp route. They breed like rabbits and you would be overrun in no time.

If you do the Betta, I think you'd be fine. The way I look at it, a heated and filtered 2g is better than where some poor Betta's end up. That is just IMO though, as you know some will beat you over the head for anything under a 5g. I personally have a crowntail male in a 2.5g hex heated, filtered, and heavily planted. He seems right at home, though a smaller female is preferable.

As for ideas, I'd agree that black or any darker colored sand would work. I'd suggest going planted with some low light plants if your lighting allows.

Do killifish need swimming room? It's a cube.
Least killifish are actually livebearers. They are not like other killis, but more resemble tiny guppies in their behavior. I am not sure if your tank is the right home for them or not, but its an option you could research. :) Since they are livebearers, they don't need a school of 6. You can keep them in pairs or trios. :) They could be in the same tank as rcs or some other cool shrimp if thats something you are interested in. :)

Ok I decided on RCS

image-3085138399.jpg

image-1643645107.jpg

How many should I start? I have 4. Do they need filtration? Mine seemed too steong

Attachments

• image-2331310322.jpg
    image-2331310322.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 54
Lol sorry about the dog picture I didn't mean to upload that whoops

I am not totally sure if they need filtration or if pwc would be ok since they have such small bioload. I made a sponge filter for my rcs tank. They love to sit on the sponge and eat the little bits that end up stuck to it.
They will reproduce, so you won't have just 4 for long. Its up to you of you want more now or if you want to just wait for shrimplets. :)

Hm ok. Because I'm using the filter box area as a refuge for babies. I figure I can suck up the babies there turn off filte let them grow in there until they are bigger but I'm probably over thinking this

Back
Top Bottom