Betta in a big bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hya All, its been a while since my last post and im back here asking for help because my girlfriend wants a betta in a bowl for her so I'm wondering about the basic equipment it should have:
Should it have some kind of filtration?
-I was thinking about at least a 2 gal. bowl wiht a gravel bed and a fake plant in it for the betta to have some place to hide and rest and also I was thinking of giving her some of my tank's water to help it cycle, as well as a piece of driftwood I also have in my tank.

Should I pop in an airstone or somethng? Or will the weekly water changes help mantain the ites down?

I also know I have to use a thermostate and a thermometer to keep temperature steady, so Im looking into the best way to keep cables and hoses to a minimum but also to make the betta's environment friendly for him.

All help is appreciated (TIA)
Patricio

The water from your tank will do nothing to help cycle it. I would get a 5 gal tank (Wal-Mart sells the entire kit pretty cheap, I bought mine for $25) and put the filter pad in your filter for a week or so. Then transfer the pad to her filter and add fresh dechlorinated water.

I wouldn't use an airstone because Betta's don't really like current. Keep up with the weekly water changes. Another idea is to plant it. You could put in 2 Anubias and that would help.

A heater is a good idea. For a 2 gal bowl you'd be looking at a 10 Watt heater. That's why if you use a 5 gal tank, you could easily find a 25 Watt heater.

IMO, I wouldn't put a Betta in anything less than a 5 gal tank. It gives them plenty of swimming space and keeps them happy. Real plants like the Anubias are easy to maintain. And you don't need any special lighting or substrate.

So what kind of filter do you recommend?
An UGF? I was told not to use UGFs because eventually you get some ugly buildup at the bottom of it. Anyways I could use it since I'm aquainted with 'em and here in Mexico it's very easy to find little UGFs
Thanx again
Pato

I also recommend the five gallon kit they sell at wal-mart. I believe it comes with a nice filter already, aswell as a light.

You are correct Rach. The 5 gal tanks at Wal-Mart come with lights and a filter. All you need is the decor and heater.

OK, I'll let you know and prob. post a pic of the final setup
Thank you all

Back
Top Bottom