Betta In Community Tank-- test run!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, hopefully its ok until then. The mollies can deal with a bit of nippiness honestly. The bigger issue is that nippiness is often an indicator for bigger issues coming.
Maybe a molly will stand up for itself and Lucy will back down. I sort of doubt it, but you never know!

absolutangel04 said:
Well, hopefully its ok until then. The mollies can deal with a bit of nippiness honestly. The bigger issue is that nippiness is often an indicator for bigger issues coming.
Maybe a molly will stand up for itself and Lucy will back down. I sort of doubt it, but you never know!

Lucy goes after my 2 lyretails (silver & creamsicle) Suki sometimes shudders and vibrates when Lucy approaches. Charger is sweet and innocent and just swims away... She's got a nip in fin as well as Suki...

CRUELLA my dominant dalmatian will go between the path of Lucy and stare her down and Lucy swims off.

Vixen... The new Black Molly female has dominance in her and occasionally has chased off Lucy and watching her and then bumping her when she gets out of hand...

Angel, my baby Dalmatian is untouched and is quite curious at Lucys antics..

Cesar, the only male, has nips in his top fin but they're growing back... Possible also was partly trauma from Cruella kicking his butt last week.

No ones dying or weak... And not new nips every day...
Im thinking to wait it out and just see what happens...
I notice when bubble wand is on it distracts Lucy and she plays in it half ignoring others...
Cruella, Angel, Cesar, and Vixen swim next to and right over Lucy and she does nothing..,

WHAT DO YOU THINK? more time?

Since there is not serious damage being done, more time won't hurt IMO.
You could try turning off the light and rearranging things. Sometimes that helps. You could also try adding more "furniture" to the tank.
IME, when little issues start out, they often lead to bigger issues later. Thats why I am skeptical, but maybe the fish will prove me wrong. :)

FYI it's only day 19.. Haha. She's a pretty big girl. She thinned out nicely for 2 days and started puffing up again..

Wow she's gorgeous! Big girl! Lucy is still about 1 3/4" - 2" or so... I have 4 mth old juvie mollies her size!
Is it true females get larger than males? This is my first female and she about 8 mths old. I've had her since July.
What type is she? All that was marked on her cup was "female betta".

your's look like a veiltail female betta. i could be wrong. :rolleyes:

and if she really still keeps on nipping, I am selling my 4.4G flatback hex tank if you are interested later. ***hint***** hint*******:brows:

Yeah, it looks a veiltale female to me too, but I am NOT an expert about that. I have only ever owned 1 female, and she is certainly not bigger than the males I have/had. But, I don't know if thats normal or not. She is rounder than a male, but not longer.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, it looks a veiltale female to me too, but I am NOT an expert about that. I have only ever owned 1 female, and she is certainly not bigger than the males I have/had. But, I don't know if thats normal or not. She is rounder than a male, but not longer.

I don't think she's full grown yet... She had definitely grown since I got her.. Possibly so tho.. I've had her 6 months.

daileene said:
your's look like a veiltail female betta. i could be wrong. :rolleyes:

and if she really still keeps on nipping, I am selling my 4.4G flatback hex tank if you are interested later. ***hint***** hint*******:brows:

Thank you! I just looked at Veiltail Betta Female pics and she matches exactly. Even a few that look like her.. :)

LUCY IS WORKING OUT!!
Since there wasn't any major damage I decided to give her some more time to work things out with everyone. Well... At some point in this last week my mollies finally decided enough was enough! Vixen, my Christmas newbie, keeps Lucy in line. She will swim at Lucy and bump her and Lucy will back off. I've only seen Lucy give chase once to which Suki turned around and pecked her. Lucy stopped...
I havent seen her flare at any of the fish in almost a week and they are all able to eat together without Lucy guarding the food. She joins the bunch and even tho everyone is bumping into each other she does nothing.
Lucy appears happy and has bright colors, greeting me at the front of the tank when I approach.

:) I'm very happy at this point.

That is really great to hear! I am happy its working out! Those wily bettas are such individuals that I should know by now not to assume anything about them. Lol.

absolutangel04 said:
That is really great to hear! I am happy its working out! Those wily bettas are such individuals that I should know by now not to assume anything about them. Lol.

Last week I really thought it wasn't going to work... And after my mishaps and freak deaths lately I really don't want another tank. I already have a 29g, 20g, two 10g, and a 1g in the living room!
I'm grateful. Just want them to all get along, be healthy and happy, and live LONG lives. :)

Hahah.... I noticed Lucy has gotten bigger in SIZE and gotten fatter... Haha. She's not lean anymore.. Got a round midsection :) always greets me at front of tank when I approach.

Thats great. :) I have only had 1 female betta, but I really liked her personality a lot. I liked her better than most of the males I have had.

absolutangel04 said:
Thats great. :) I have only had 1 female betta, but I really liked her personality a lot. I liked her better than most of the males I have had.

Definitely! This is my first female. I've had 5 bettas and they were all male. I love her... My little spitfire :)

Back
Top Bottom