Betta looking for friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrspughster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently adopted a male Betta and at first had him in a 10g. Ended up taking that tank down and put him in my 55g with several types. Mostly guppies and tetras. But also 2 clown loaches and GAE. I thought they liked to be alone so I set up a small hex tank and put him in there. He stopped eating and looked like he was mad at me, he would flare out his gills and fins at me lol. So, I moved him back to the big tank. He started eating again and now will come play with me when I am at the tank. Been thinking of getting a female Betta but not sure how they will get along. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I got a male betta for my 10 gal. Then i decided to get a female because it seemed like the male wasn't really having fun. So I put the female in there and he immediately starting harassing her. He would dart at her and nip her fins. Now after about a couple weeks. She has started to get him and now his long beautiful fins are almost gone. You see, when two bettas get together, they need to make a peccing (sp) order. One always has to be the dominant one. Typically, this is a male. So this alpha male will continue to harass any fish until it is clear that the tank or territory is his.

Now i've heard of people being able to keep two bettas (male and female) together, but for the most part, they need to be from the same father or raised up together. Hope this helps :)

A male and female betta cannot be tankmates - they will harrass, nip, or kill each other. Even though your tank is a 55 gallon, I still would not try to house a male and female together as tankmates.

For breeding, they are introduced when they are receptive to each other (I don't breed them so I'm not sure of the signs to watch for). They are separated soon after mating.

female betta is a bad idea. they really only go with females when mating like the An t-iasg
said. if he is happy in the tank he is in now i would say just get some more of the fish he is happy with. get some nice schools of tetras in the tank to fill space and see how he reacts.

Can you put him in another 10g? That will give you more options for tankmates. I have a 10g with a male betta and 6 harlequin rasboras. They all get along really well.

In a 5g hex, you won't have many options. What is wrong with the 55g? Did he not get along with someone?

If he was happy in the 55g, eating good and got along with everyone, I'd put him back in there. Just be sure that you don't add gouramis (which may or may not get along with him) or any long finned fish that look similar to bettas.

Bettas don't have to be alone. If they behave themselves in tanks with other fish and the tankmates behave, then there is no reason why the betta shouldn't go fine in there. Or atleast thats my theory...:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom