betta with issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently inherited a male betta due to a death in the family. No one else wanted him so I took him rather than see him flushed. At the moment he is living in your5 typical small betta bowl. He eats and is healthy except for what seems to be a swim bladder problem. He does not seem to be able to submerge. Whenever he tries he pops back up to the top like a cork. Any ideas?

I'm sorry :(

Swim bladder disorder in bettas could result from overfeeding. Now that the betta is in your care, feed no more than 4-5 betta pellets daily. Alternate once a week with 5-6 bloodworms. Soak the pellets for about three minutes in a cup of tankwater to soften them. The pellets absorb water in the cup and not in the stomach, helping to prevent bloat.

Make sure the betta has nice clean water and a stable water temperature of 80 degrees. Fluctuating water temperatures are a big cause of betta illnesses.

If the betta doesn't get better on his own, try some kanacyn or tetracycline antibiotic.

If you can, get a 2.5 gallon acrylic tank. I got one at Walmart. You can put a 25-watt heater in this tank.

Here's a link I found:

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/swimbladder_betta.php

I only feed mt bettas 1-2 pellets every other day. helps maintain water quality, and is plenty to provide the nutrition the fish need to stay healthy.

I've heard a lot of conflicting info on these fish. Is there a central source for information (habitat, lighting,plantings etc.

bettas are easy for the most part... you could try ultimatebettas.com but i doubt you'll get 'central' info.

Mine is in a community tank with tetras and cories-- she mainly steals algae wafer bits. I'll occasionally pop her a pellet or two when I don't feed the wafers, since she won't really eat flakes. Doing fine so far.

4-5 pellets daily would have her big as a house in short order... when she was only eating pellets I'd give her 1 a day- sometimes 2.

Back
Top Bottom