Bettas with guppies and platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. I bought a betta yesterday and put him in a temporary container until i can get a new tank. This betta is so beautiful, he would look so nice in a planted tank. I have a 5.5gal planted with guppies and platies. Is this an ok mix. If not i will get him a bigger tank all to himself.

I would get a bigger tank for the guppies and platys, and move him into the 5.5, which would be perfect for him. Don't put him in with guppys, he will see the male guppies as rivals and attack them.

They could get along fine. It all depends on the personality of your fish. Platies tend to be fin nippers, but mine get along great with my betta. I never had mine with guppies though.

I know i should get a bigger tank, the platys will be moved soon, and it will just be a pair of guppies. I don't think i am going to try it. Sounds like too much of a risk for my male guppy. Thanks for your help.

i have 2 male guppies in with a male betta and everything is fine. when i introduced the betta he tried to impose his dominance on them and nipped the tail of 1, taking it all off over the first night. guppy tail has now grown back and they leave each other alone. the betta tried to tackle the 2 borneo suckers i added as well. he's never bothered the white clouds as there are 5 of them. i'm assuming it is curiosity in my case as they all get along now. it may all go wrong in the future though and if it does, i wont add any more of the losing species.

i'm thinking it could be down to the personality of the individual fish rather than the species, seems so in my case. but i'm not an expert.

Blake - what size is the tank ? If its a 10G you're pretty stocked, but a betta would do fine with your fish I think. I'd be concerned about all the plants. Are they plastic ? If they are they'll likely shred the bettas fins, so I'd forego the betta if they are.

I believe its a 12 or 15g, it's my fiancee's tank that she brought with her when we moved out together.

The plant's are plastic, but they are soft. When we have cleaned them, they did not have any rough edges to them. But then again soft to us, could be sharp to them.

Never thought I could put a Betta in with any fish, until this thread. Always loved how beautiful they are, and the personalities they have. (Use to have some when I was younger).

Guess I won't bother getting one for this aquarium, wouldn't want to endanger it or have it get harmed.

Thanks for the feedback though,

hi
i have had my betta in my for about 4 weeks with male guppies,mollys and danios and i have never had any problems with none ,not even any fin nipping they all do there own thing .

Back
Top Bottom