big al's multi-purpose bio-support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone heard of the big al's multi-purpose bio-support?

Is it something that could be used to cycle a tank? Can it replace Bio-spira?

Are there other product comparable to Bio-spira?

Thanks

i have used the bio support but that isnt a tank cycler. it just puts in certain nutrients that the plants and fish need to help them stay healthy. i use it all the time and my plants are doing awsome and i have really low light.

vero said:
Are there other product comparable to Bio-spira?

Thanks

Another product that's similar to Bio-Spira is Seachem's Stability. It comes in a bottle and isn't refrigerated. I got some online. You are supposed to use it every day for 7 days, I think. It's not an instant cycler but it did help keep the high ammonia peaks from forming. I still saw some small ammonia and nitrite peaks, so I knew when the cycle was progressing, but it went a little faster and hopefully without as much stress to the fish. It's not a substitute for testing and water changes during a new tank cycle but I thought it is a good product.

I have a friend who tried Stability in some new tanks he setup. Now, they were lightly stocked, and medium light with some plants, but he indicated that it definitely made the tank habitable in a shortened time.
These were for his baby plecos and angelfish, and he had a better survival rate.

Seachem is a pretty reputable company. They don't make very wild claims about Stability, which makes me further agree that it must do something beneficial.

Also, I've seen some cases where Bio-Spira just didn't work (apparently the bottle was a dude, likely due to improper shipping/storage conditions where it got too warm). I think they have a guarantee, but it doesn't cover fish loss :(

Back
Top Bottom