Big tank advice please. Upgrading to over 200 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I currently own a 75 gallon and will be upgrading to a 200-300 gallon tank for my African Cichlids. I have of idea of what I will be getting into but would like to hear from you guys. All advice is greatly appreciated.

All sounds good. Do you have your heart set on African cichlids? As with such a massive tank you might want to look into discus. They really look good. But you could have a lot of African cichlids in that tank so your choice. Good luck with your new tank :)

Yea I love how they look when they are fully grown. Discus from what I understand are way to delicate for me. Maybe in the future but for now I would like a big African tank.

I wouldn't do cichlids there so boring to me I would do a big community tank of several different fish and have live plants . Like how they use java moss to decorate with driftwood like there trees and it's outside instead of aquarium . That's just me tho lol

I wouldn't do cichlids there so boring to me I would do a big community tank of several different fish and have live plants . Like how they use java moss to decorate with driftwood like there trees and it's outside instead of aquarium . That's just me tho lol

I personally love cichlids, they're active with a great personality. I like planted aquariums, but for my bigger tanks I prefer to actually revolve it around fish, not plants lol. Having a 20-30g for a tank of that nature is fine, a 200g+ tank on the other hand would in my opinion be a complete waste. All personal preference though in the end :fish2:

You should google some rocked out Malawi tanks then :p No need for plants when you can get some natural green algae on your rockscape (and they're free! Lol) (y)

It's just not the same . But then me and you have two different taste nothing wrong with that :)

Yeah, one of the best things about this hobby are all these options :)! Anyways should get back on topic, what characteristics are you looking for in a cichlid (color, size, ect)?

That's a thought. I like Africans though.

What exactly are you asking lbirath001?

Basically is there any difference between a 75 gallon and a 250 gallon other then the size and volume of water? Obviously the equipment is going to need to handle it. I want to know fully what I'm getting into.

This is my current set-up. 75 gallon african and a 60 gallon South American. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394265617.280078.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394265632.218566.jpg

Back
Top Bottom