Big tank advice please. Upgrading to over 200 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basically is there any difference between a 75 gallon and a 250 gallon other then the size and volume of water? Obviously the equipment is going to need to handle it. I want to know fully what I'm getting into.

We'll for African then I would look at a sump because it will be way cheaper in the end. Look at a good pump because your gonna need atleast 3000gph to keep up with everything and you should probably use the 75g as a sump. It's all the same really just a bigger tank and bigger equipment and BIGGER water change! Your pump will be the heart of the plan so don't skimp on that part. If you do decide to go with filters I would personally go with canisters and I myself would do 3 or 4 maybe 5 Fluval FX6's. That will put you at 2500gph or so and you won't have any dead spots in the tank. Heating wise I would take a look at Ehiem Jägers. Their 300w is rated for 264g tanks and I would do 2 of those because it will keep the temp steady 100% guaranteed. Other then that your looking at washing 300 lbs of pfs if that's what you wanna go with and quite a bit of rock for the rock work.

I've run a 220g tank for years. I now run 3 Fluval 406 canister filters as they are easier to clean and handle over the FX6's. I ran 2 FX5's for about 2 years when I was using the tank for a fingerling koi grow outs and much prefer the smaller canister which still has a lot of media space and keep the tank quite clean. I have 3 Fluval Series E 300 watt heaters spaced evenly in the tank to provide consistent heat throughout the tank. I have an inline UV sterilizer on one of the canister filters but this is not necessary. The one thing I would suggest is getting an Aqueon Water Changer so your weekly 50% WC's are easy.

I've run a 220g tank for years. I now run 3 Fluval 406 canister filters as they are easier to clean and handle over the FX6's. I ran 2 FX5's for about 2 years when I was using the tank for a fingerling koi grow outs and much prefer the smaller canister which still has a lot of media space and keep the tank quite clean. I have 3 Fluval Series E 300 watt heaters spaced evenly in the tank to provide consistent heat throughout the tank. I have an inline UV sterilizer on one of the canister filters but this is not necessary. The one thing I would suggest is getting an Aqueon Water Changer so your weekly 50% WC's are easy.

I currently use a canister on my 75. I have a ehim 2217 and it seems like it's not that good other then the 1st day or two after I clean it. I see fish good floating by it and not getting sucked in. I'm kinda hesitant to go with another canister. I was thinking more of a wet/dry filter. It seems you can filter a lot more water with just one. The water changer is a great idea. I use buckets right now and that's not going to cut it for the upgrade. :)

We'll for African then I would look at a sump because it will be way cheaper in the end. Look at a good pump because your gonna need atleast 3000gph to keep up with everything and you should probably use the 75g as a sump. It's all the same really just a bigger tank and bigger equipment and BIGGER water change! Your pump will be the heart of the plan so don't skimp on that part. If you do decide to go with filters I would personally go with canisters and I myself would do 3 or 4 maybe 5 Fluval FX6's. That will put you at 2500gph or so and you won't have any dead spots in the tank. Heating wise I would take a look at Ehiem Jägers. Their 300w is rated for 264g tanks and I would do 2 of those because it will keep the temp steady 100% guaranteed. Other then that your looking at washing 300 lbs of pfs if that's what you wanna go with and quite a bit of rock for the rock work.

That's some good info thank you.

Canister filters unless you buy one that is too small in size for a tank should have an excellent water flow unless it gets very dirty and clogged up. I clean my canisters every 4 weeks.

Fish shouldn't get sucked in or they are not healthy. It's the outflow that should have a strong flow. I've been using Fluval canisters since the 80's.

Last edited:
Canister filters unless you buy one that is too small in size for a tank should have an excellent water flow unless it gets very dirty and clogged up. I clean my canisters every 4 weeks.

Ya I clean it every month. Takes me a good 30-45 mins to :) . How long does it take you to clean your 220? Do you have any photos?

Back
Top Bottom