Big tank finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank will appear to be flush with the wall but will actually 3+ inches from the wall. I am building the stand to appear to have a back. You can see down the back of the tank as you walk down the stairs so I wanted to hide this. We will have to make a removable panel at least on one side. Its the intricate details that still need worked out :(

I need to go look at some doors to see what trim will match. I always do things backwards. When rushed a bit since we actually had access to a truck for an evening. It is tough to get stuff like that in a car :)

Well, I went and got the tank today! Was heavier than I expected!

I was told the overflows would be on the corners but they ended up being in the back wall. I had to change my bracing the stand because of this.

My carpentry skills got the best of me as well. I ended up mis figuring on the tank size as I forgot about the tank trim thickness when I cut the trim for the cabinet :( Looks like I am re-doing that! I think we have the canopy figured out.

Sucks when you spend most of the day buulding something only to have to dis-assemble it later :(

I got a great deal on a Dart pump today though! One good thing ;)

Hopefully I will some more pics soon.

I guess that is why I sit behind a computer all day and not building stuff :)

Hopefully tonight will go better. I was trying to build without the actually tank so that was a gamble too...

The skin will be Luan(plywood) with pine trim. I have the choice matching the bar cabinet with a dark oak stain or matching the fireplace mantle which is white. What do you think? ;)

I would go for whichever will balance out the color of the room.

The stand and canopy are built! We have 1 coat of stain on it and it will take at least 2 maybe 3. I caulked the inside of the canopy and I have the primer and paint ready for the inside of the canopy as well. I need to figure where the fans will go and where I will mount my lights. I might add a couple of boards to allow for more mounting options.

I have some plumbing ideas hatched too. I will post some pics of the stand/canopy and the new sump room later tonight!

Finally got some new pics! stand and canopy are stained and finished for the most part. I am waiting on the doors to arrives so I can fit them in place. I have not cut the holes yet. I need to get the fans placed in the new canopy and finish painting the inside of the canopy.

Some friends came over and we got the tank plumbed. All 4 holes in the overflow will be drains. I have the 1" and 3/4" drains running into a 1.5" pipe. These 2 pipes will go through the wall.

Time to sleep. The pics are a bit blurry but you can see whats up :)

Attachments

• stand3_198.jpg
    stand3_198.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 92
  • stand4_702.jpg
    stand4_702.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 34
  • canopy1_159.jpg
    canopy1_159.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 89
a few more ...

Attachments

• canopy2_160.jpg
    canopy2_160.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 39
  • sumproom1_241.jpg
    sumproom1_241.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 33
In my 75, I have:

Yellow Tang
royal gramma
percula clown
2 Yellow Tail damsels
yellow watchman w/ pistol shrimp

I really want a nice tang - powder brown, sohol, sailfin etc. The sailfin is the same family as the YT so I am not sure how that will go. I want a nice wrasse too. I do have a flame angel in my frag system that will be added too.

I have not added fish in a long time so I am just looking now.

Any suggestions? :)

Another update:

I bought some more plumbing supplies :( I bought stuff to run dual dursos in the overflows. I also bought another 100 gal stock tank, 180 lbs of sand and some new Red Sea Reef Pro salt.

I got the doors for the stand yesterday so I cut the holes in the stand and put the first coat of stain on the doors. I need to get this done so I can get the tank in place so carpet can be laid around it.

I have been looking at some fish but as it stands, my yellow tang will be an issue with any new tangs. I might have to leave my yellow tang in the temp system so I can add a smaller tang or 2 before him. Its only gets more complicated ...

I am slowly getting there ...

I drilled out the bulkhead in the stock tank from 1.25" to 2". I got the doors on the stand the the tank is in place. I installed the fans in the canopy and added some locking hinges for the canopy lid.

Now, I just need to plumb the stock tank, drill the holes in the sump for the 1.5" drains from the tank. I also need to cut the hole in the wall for the 1.5 return feed. I am planning on modifying the teeth of the overflow too.

Plenty to do tomorrow :)

Here are the pics of the completed canopy and stand.

Attachments

• stand5_637.jpg
    stand5_637.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 31
  • canopy3_753.jpg
    canopy3_753.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 89
  • canopy4_564.jpg
    canopy4_564.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 91
fish ideas:
i have a solar wrasse. i think they are also called tri color fairy wrasse. reef safe, colorful and swims at all levels.

fox face lo. cool fish. more unique looking and fish tend not to fight with them

good luck

steve r

Back
Top Bottom