Bill's 10 Gallon Cool Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I kind of let this tank go... Glass was covered in GSA and stones were getting covered in algae. Also, a while back when I added more sand to the back, I buried a lot of hairgrass, resulting in the very patchy growth. It would have simply took ages to carpet, so I decided to go for a reboot.

I uprooted all the DHG and set it aside while I worked in the tank. Moved some of the sand from up front to the rear to increase the slope. Cleaned the glass and pulled out 50% of the water. I then spot treated all the stones with h2o2, and let it do it's thing while I separated the hairgrass in to plugs for replanting. I replanted all the DHG in the rear, and a few patches up front and between the stones. I also added a few plugs of HC up front between the stones to add a little contrast to the grass. Hopefully it takes root and developes some nice bushy patches.

I've been thinking about getting rid of the white cloud minnows and going for some ember tetras instead. If I do, I'll probably add a few otos and amano shrimp as well.

The tiger shrimp I had did great for a while, then I had a sudden die off... One shrimp dying at a time, every couple days. So far, I've only seen one adult, and two juvies left in the tank. Not really sure what happened. Nitrates where kind of high when I tested them, so it could have been that.

Anyways, on to the FTS of the reboot. Hopefully it fills in now, since it's been planted properly. In retrospect, I should have capped the aquasoil in the back with powdered type, and used a better sand up front, the play sand gets nasty and discolored. Oh well, this was meant to be a budget build, so it is what it is....

It happens, but don't let that discourage you!
I have a question, what lighting do you have for the tank?
Sorry to hear about the shrimp :(

Yeah, I've got a lot going on, so it's hard to keep up on all the tanks. Kinda bummed about the shrimp, but oh well...

I'm just using two 13 or 14 watt spiral CFLs in a stock hood. Co2 is diffused though the aquaclear filter, although, I've been thinking about using a normal diffuser instead. I don't really feel like I'm getting that the co2 levels I should be with the bps I'm running.

Oh well, stuff happens
Good luck with it!
If the hair grass hasn't died, then i think that you have the correct co2 levels

Sorry for the late reply. I've been extremely busy with other projects and my tanks have all been neglected.

I decided this one would be the first to get back on track. I've made a few changes to hardware and stocking, cleaned, and did a water change today. I'll update more thoroughly when the tank starts to look better... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, odds are I'll add some coral. Planning on a single perc clown and clean up crew. Maybe a green banded goby or a yellow clown goby. I won't be adding more rock. My intentions were minimalist, as always...

No! Don't join the dark side!!!

Oh well. Good luck with it :D. Will you start a new thread in the SW section?

Haha. The dark side is calling me... I couldn't help it. I considered turning it in to a betta tank, but then walking around an LFS, I realized I'd enjoy a clownfish much more. I know my son will love it, too.

Anyways, I may make a thread on it in the SW section. I haven't been too active on the forums lately, so maybe I should start up again. The tank was set up last weekend, so it's going to be a while before the cycle is done.

I'm planning on selling off some of my FW equipment to help fund an orbit marine led for this tank and maybe swapping out the hydor powerhead for an mp10... New setups are fun! I'm also working on an auto top off system for this tank to keep my daily maintenance to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom