Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrates still go off the charts, so lots of water changes are still needed. As long as you've got an established filter, it should catch up fairly fast. How much AS are you planning on adding?

Based on a scape I have in my head, I may only need 3l. I'll most likely order a 9l bag though because it's easier than needing to add more later on. Maybe I'll do 9l of powder. I really like the look of it in Brian's tank. I'm thinking if I do a 50% everyday for a week I should be fine?

Gorgeous tank Bill! You definitely have a great eye for the minimalist hardscape. I always think I want to go minimal, then end up with waaayyyy too mcuh clutter by the time it is said and done. So far, my attempts at minimal have turned quicly into a jungle, lol.

I think the green neons would be really cool. I would love to set up a 12 long (minimal scape turned jungle, as always) and throw a bunch of Embers in it. :)

Based on a scape I have in my head, I may only need 3l. I'll most likely order a 9l bag though because it's easier than needing to add more later on. Maybe I'll do 9l of powder. I really like the look of it in Brian's tank. I'm thinking if I do a 50% everyday for a week I should be fine?

Yeah man, that sounds good. Make sure you have plenty of bio media. I added a bunch to my bio tray a while back. Filled the mother up! Haha it's a nice plus to have so much cycled media, whenever I start a new tank, I just grab some bio rings out of the canister to seed any new filters I start up! ;)

Gorgeous tank Bill! You definitely have a great eye for the minimalist hardscape. I always think I want to go minimal, then end up with waaayyyy too mcuh clutter by the time it is said and done. So far, my attempts at minimal have turned quicly into a jungle, lol.

I think the green neons would be really cool. I would love to set up a 12 long (minimal scape turned jungle, as always) and throw a bunch of Embers in it. :)

Thanks Kim! You gotta learn to keep it simple! ;)

Hey, so I just realized I flaked on sending you those stones... Totally forgot about it... Did you still want them? I can mail them out tomorrow.

Bill, do you get surface scum a lot despite using lily pipes?

Yeah, I do. I've run in to a bit of a routine that helps, though. I position the out flow maybe 1/4 bellow the surface. By the next day enough water has evaporated that the out flow is now causing splashing on the surface, circulating all that back in to the water. I let it do that for about an hour, then top off the tank to where it should be, and clean up the water spots. I do this daily... Lol... Seems to keep the protien film at a minimum, though.

Yeah I did the same thing in our 60F. I'm not sure if you've seen this, I just posted this in Joey's thread too... but I stumbled upon this thread in TPT last night. I thought it is a great idea and I'm going to try it when I set up lily pipes again.

DIY surface skimmer for Lily Pipe

Pretty cool, man. Not the most attractive of things, but looks like it'd work well. I've been thinking a lot of DIY ways to solve this problem, lately.

yeah you got some DIY skills... but I think the one shown in the link isn't too bad. At least is made with a clear tube. Just the little makeshift washer or O-ring can use improvement somehow. Maybe a cleaner way to cut the slits on top of the tube as well.

Yeah, I've got issues with that little finger condom thing... :rotfl:

I'm sure I can figure out a way to make it a little cleaner. The other problem is, it's not shrimp safe, unless you can figure out a way to add some mesh to the skimmer part.

Oh yeah... skimmers aren't usually shrimp safe. Adding mesh might not allow the scum to get through. Oh well... guess what you're doing now is best. But in a non-shrimp tank, this seems like a good option (minus the finger condom!).

Thanks, Brian.

I've been really good about replanting any individual stems of HC that break off and float. I think this is helping a lot.

I'm thinking it's time to add some patches of DHG around the stones. Or should I just leave it all HC?

What do ya think?

Either way would be cool... Just that DHG is so invasive with how it shoots runners below the substrate pretty deep. If you don't mind a little mixing of plants, then I say go for it.

How about those little plastic walls/barriers to keep the runners from shooting off everywhere?

How about those little plastic walls/barriers to keep the runners from shooting off everywhere?

I think unless you get them to fit perfectly together and tight to the tank floor it wont work. The hairgrass as massive amounts of under substrate runners and roots

Yeah, not sure if I have the courage to go through with it... lol. Then again, I'm sure by the time the hairgrass takes over, I'll be bored with the tank and ready for another rescape... :brows:

Back
Top Bottom