Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a little searching on google, and I actually really like the way HC and hair grass intermingle... Even when the hair grass gets out of hand, it still looks pretty cool and natural. I think I'm gonna go for it... Now I need to decide parvula or acicularis...

It might just be me but my eyes keep searching for a second focal point. Maybe another stone to the right. It just looks a little empty to me.

It might just be me but my eyes keep searching for a second focal point. Maybe another stone to the right. It just looks a little empty to me.

Thanks for your input, Ayi. It was my intention to create that much negative space.

There IS something bothering me lately, though, that I think could improve the layout just a bit. I think the stones in the back, on both sides could be replaced with some larger, or more so, longer stones that would follow the lines of the slope in either direction a little more.

Edit: Oh, and by the way... The second focal point is the fish... ;)

Last edited:
I was looking for lights for my future 1mr aqua 12 gallon long build when i came upon your thread and how you commented so highly on the current usa leds. So i looked them up and they are perfect. The only thing i am hesitant with them is the size. Which size do you have? The 24-36 or 36-48.

I've been reading a lot about focal points and visual tension and I think I figured out what to do about your tank, arrange the rock in a way that the top is more jagged, rather thank being in one direction. :) I you like.

I made some minor adjustments the other day. Here's a pic from a couple days ago.

Before:

After:

I believe I do need to swap out the primary stone for one with more character. This was just stuff I had on hand and made work. I might go on the hunt for some more Seiryu stone next weekend. Just kind of a pain cuz the only LFS that carry them are super far from me.

Nice tank! I jumped to the last page to see the results and love it! Time to go back and read the build.

Looking very nice Bill. Almost makes me want to fire up the 12L again.

Do it! I thought it was a reef tank?

It was a reef tank for awhile but I rolled all the coral into my main reef and shut it down for the time being. Been really busy and traveling a lot, and 2 reefs to maintain was becoming a pain.

Good news is I have the tunze nano osmolator now, which even if I go back to FW with it will be a great add. That was one of the things I hated about this tank as a FW tank was it would evaporate so quickly. The auto top off ought to work nicely with RODI water for the top off reservoir. I am thinking my light fixture would work fine for plants, though I'd probably have to turn it down to like 10-20% intensity :).

It ain't gonna happen any time soon. The snow is finally melting and a lot of the free time will be spent back out at my observatory, but come next fall, it might get flooded with FW again.

It was a reef tank for awhile but I rolled all the coral into my main reef and shut it down for the time being. Been really busy and traveling a lot, and 2 reefs to maintain was becoming a pain.

Good news is I have the tunze nano osmolator now, which even if I go back to FW with it will be a great add. That was one of the things I hated about this tank as a FW tank was it would evaporate so quickly. The auto top off ought to work nicely with RODI water for the top off reservoir. I am thinking my light fixture would work fine for plants, though I'd probably have to turn it down to like 10-20% intensity :).

It ain't gonna happen any time soon. The snow is finally melting and a lot of the free time will be spent back out at my observatory, but come next fall, it might get flooded with FW again.

Sounds good, man. I'd love to see another FW build out of you! It's nice to see you posting around every once in awhile, too. Is your SW thread still active?

Back
Top Bottom