Bill's DIY AIO 10 Gallon - Something out of nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Disaster struck last night while I was asleep...

Woke up to only an inch or so of water in the display...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking it was because the acrylic fit too snug. I remember reading that acrylic can swell a bit from water. Might have been just enough to put too much pressure on the glass.

Rushed clean up because I had to get to work. Everything seems fine, except my hammer looked pretty bad. I have no idea how long it was out of water... Everything is in a 5g bucket with a powerhead at the moment.

Man, I was about to get in the shower and was like, what is that noise??? It was my return pump going bonkers... Water everywhere! The tank sat on the kitchen counter so all the cabinets and drawers in that section were full of water... Smh...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man so sorry to hear this! That is not a good way to wake up. What is the plans with the livestock? What a bummer it was such an awesome little tank.

The acrylic swelling makes sense.
Even if it is just temp related expansion and contraction of different products(glass and acrylic).
Looks like it started in the bottom right at the acrylic glass joint.
In some fields that would be considered a "T" joint/intersection as 3 products meet and all move separately although joined.
Is there a re build in the future?:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom