Bio Spira Updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's been about 24 hours since it went in,

Starting param. Ammonia= 0.25 , Nitrite= 0

Today Ammonia= 1.0 , Nitrite= 0

Added 5 mL of PRIME per directions.

Watch that ammonia level - if I remember correctly your pH is on the high side and at higher pH ammonia becomes more toxic.
Did you add the Bio-Spira to the tank or did you dump it into the filter ? (I dumped it into the filter, not that I know if it really matters)

It took 3 days before my Bio-Spira fully kicked in.
Hang in there !

I know it's been said before here, and I missed it... You have to shake the crap (pardon my french) out of the package before you put it in the tank. Otherwise, the bacteria are all stuck to the sides of the package.

I put some in my 55G and 10G tank and nothing happened. Then I did some reading and found that it's because I didn't shake it. Second run this week (monday) with lots of shaking and opening the package and flushing it out with tank water back into the tank, and I'm cycling well now 3 days later.

BIO SPIRA update --- Day 2

Water test parameters today ,

Ammonia = 1.0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5.0
PH = 7.6
KH = 180
GH = 150

Does it seem like things are going well ????

Sorry for the confusion by running multi day threads on my tank/Bio Spira updates.

A MOD merged the threads for me.

wow - tough call - part of me wants to say "give it one more day" part of me wants to say "get that ammonia level down for the fishes' sake".
Since you used Prime the ammonia should be less harmful than if you hadn't so maybe one more day - but check it in the morning just to make sure its not getting horrible and be preped to do a PWC if it is.

Todays water test param ( 3rd day )

Ammonia = 4.0

Nitrate = 5.0

Added a double dose of PRIME at 6 pm.

It is not working. Do a large water change as soon as you can and then do another one. That ammonia level is dangerously high. Have you seen any nitrites?

Today , Sat June 10, water test

Ammonia = 4.0 again , kinda inbetween 2.0- 4.0 on color chart
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = inbetween 0 - 5.0

Changed out 24 gallons, treated water as I put it back and then put in another full dose of PRIME.

rich311k , sorry I didn't reply yesterday , got called into work

Sunday June 11 , 2PM

Ammonia = 1.0 -- did a 50 % water change and put a Nitra-Zorb pouch in my RENA filter

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

What is going on ????

Did another water change last night , about 65% , later tested ammonia - 0.50

Today , Monday , Ammonia = 1.0 , Nitrite = 0 , Nitrate = 0

Skeet, it didn't work.
I used the Bio-Spira on a 37 gal. and had 2 filters running on a 10 gal for a month. I took one off the 10 and ran it with the new AQ 70 on the 37 and it cycled in 3 days. The highest the ammonia went was 1ppm with no water changes. I only used 1/2 cap of Prime.

If it were me i'd start over with either the BS or do a fishless cycle if possible. I know BS is expensive and i can't say that it would be worth the cost to speed it up. If you got the BS locally, i'd go talk to the mgr and explain that it didn't take and maybe he/she would offer another dose at 1/2 price or something.

Good luck :)

Skeet - I'm sorry the Bio-Spira didn't work :( I like the idea of talking to the store mgr for another dose. Bring a cooler to keep it cold on the trip home.

I cant really start over , I have several fish in there and I dont think I will try BS again this time. I drove 140 mile round trip to get the other batch of BS.

So looks like I am knee deep in a cycle with fish.

How long is it going to take ?? 2 months ??

I was in the same situation with fish on the 10 gal.
It took about 6 weeks and i put 250-300 gal in that 10 gal tank.

I had no way of getting any media what so ever to speed things up.
If you can, try asking the mgr at the LFS for a used filter pad or a handful of gravel or even ask if you could purchase a decoration/plastic plant out of a tank.

A localy owned fish store will usually help out in anyway that they can.

Thats what i did and now i dont step foot into a chain store anymore because they only wanted to sell me more stuff.

The local owner has really helped with questions and even has gave me the stuff to help with the cycle at no cost.

I agree with R&L. The chain stores usually aren't too helpful, since the employees aren't supposed to be giving anything away - and many aren't that up-to-speed about cycling and wouldn't understand why you wanted some old filter stuff or gravel.

The independent stores should be better. It may help to say something like "Well, I really want to buy some fish, but I have to wait until my tank cycles. Do you think I could get some used gravel or filter material from your tanks to speed it up?" - they should see that as a way to get you buying sooner. ;)

Another thing that can't hurt is to try Stress Zyme. We cycled a friends tank with it in under 2 weeks. Plus most lfs's carry it, at least they do here.

The last 48 hours , man-o-man , caught the ICH , not me the fish did.

Have been treating with 88.5 degrees temp and salt, specks almost gone already.

Water test , Ammonia = 4.0 , Nitrite = ? (blue = 0 and purple = 0.25 ) I have a wierd inbetween color , so almost 0.25

PROGRESS

I had good results with Cycle.

Attachments

• lg_51969_49a99_136.jpg
    lg_51969_49a99_136.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom