BioCube Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah i hate the floaters too haha.

what do you use to test your pH? I have the API saltwater master test kit and i feel like the results are not always consistent.

I use API for ph, ammonia and nitrite. I have API for nitrates too and salifert. The other stuff I use salifert tets kits.

I just test with the API test tube kit. Haven't gotten around to buying a controller and probes yet. they are pretty pricey

ok. does filling the tube from bottom of tank vs top matter? there have been times where i have filled 2 tubes and gotten 2 different results

I use a small animal feeding syringe to get my water so it comes from a few inches deep. Also means I don't get my hands wet. Best $4 I spent so far. lol

got it in the small animal section, like for feeding baby hamsters and guinea pigs. Got it in petco :)

oh alright. I'll have to go pick one up. That is a good idea. I always hate having to stick my hand in for testing and getting it all wet with the salt water. Hopefully this will provide more consistent results too. Sometimes i get results that show the pH is right where it should be and sometimes it says that it is too low

oh, just curious, with your media basket did it come with the water flow director piece already put together or did you have to super glue the two little director pieces on the base?

I bought mine used so it was already attached. I believe according tot heri web page you have to glue it yourself.

just got the media basket set up. instantly my tank is much cloudier. idk if it is just from the initial shake up of removing the bioballs or if the new system is not blocking as much stuff as the stock system. the water is flowing from chamber one into the media basket, but because the media basket is not a 100% tight fit in chamber 2, there is still some water that just goes around the media basket instead of through it :/ i am really worried

Did you rinse the media before you put it in? Also, you want to try to get the spout where it goes into the center chamber as close as possible. Mine is dead center where the water flows through. Did you add filter floss or a cut up filter pad?

mine is already glued and it is extremely close to flowing into the center of the floss. the problem is that A) there is a lot of water in chamber one so it is kinda flowing over the directors, and on one side the director did not get placed 100% up against the wall so there is a tiny gap where water can sneak through. i think i messed up bad :/

I wouldnt worry. It will be fine. :)

Do you have the clip that holds it to the wall of the right chamber in all the way?

yeah but the basket is weighed down more than the clip goes down, so it doesn't hold it super tight and creates a small gap

Can you try to have the filter pad catch some of the difference? Did you fill the top basket with floss or pads?

i drained some of the water out because it was well about the "max line. this caused the second chamber to lose water and not cause the basket to "float" as much. it is staying more still. because i didn't glue the directors on perfectly, there is still some water making it through. i ordered the blue/white floss that was shown in the display on their website. my setup is exactly like that

Ok, cool thats what I use too. Did you cut a small square out of it or just ball it up in there? I find with it in a small square i can catch any water that is missing the basket.

Do you have a picture so I can see what you did?

i just ordered a replacement flow director piece from the site. should be here by saturday. i hope everything can stay stable until then :/

Back
Top Bottom