Biorb - how many gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked this up for FREE today!!!! But honestly can't believe it's 8 gallons. This is a 16oz bottle of stress coat for perspective.

What do you think? 8 gallons?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok fine. I did a partial water change and filled up a 5 gallon bucket with water left in the tank, so it is definitely the 30L / 8G size.

Cycle has started. Now I just need a light. Prior owners are still trying to find the light. But looking for a used one online too. My hubbie rigged up a temporary dim solution.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469103954.765539.jpg

I took about a gallon of my dirty water from my established tank and put it in here on Monday. The plants are from my main tank. And one snail. I am going to pull some media out of my canister this weekend to get this baby cycled fast.

I am planning on one giant white betta. But will wait to order until the cycle is done.

That's really a nice set up! can't wait to see your betta in there.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Ya know, I love Betta's. But is there something else I should consider that would do well in an 8 gallon tank?

That's really cool, Tmaier! You could do a few neons, I suppose,... but I think your best bet for show would be the white betta you're looking for. Either way, I'm sure you'll come up with something FABULOUS! :D

Thanks! I was able to get my hands on another Biorb used for $40. I am not planning to set up but to use for parts that were not with the first one I got for free. I had to take that Anubius tree out it was a bit too tall. I will have to make other one since I have lots of trimmings. But here it is today with the halogen light and center bubble tube cover and fake plants mixed with a few real.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469220349.289242.jpg

I will keep an eye out for an LED light. But the halogen will actually heat the tank and I might need some heat for the Betta and do not want to add a heater unless I must. Our house at the moment is 76-78 since it is summer here and we hate to run the AC for anything cooler. I will have to monitor the heat now that the light is on. I suspect I will get about 2 degrees out of it.

That is a neat setup . Just keep in mind the drawback of a spherical tank is the higher the water level the less the surface area for gas exchange . Just keep it below max and have a lot of surface agitation .

That is a neat setup . Just keep in mind the drawback of a spherical tank is the higher the water level the less the surface area for gas exchange . Just keep it below max and have a lot of surface agitation .

That bubble tube from the under gravel filter is a raging aerated inferno.

Reminds me of mountain wanna-hawka-loogie.

Wow, that's a really really nice tank.

Thank you!

Ok I think I am safe to get my Betta.

But I want some second opinions.

When I set this up all the bio medium was dry. I rinsed it well. When I filled the tank I used 100% water out of my established tank making sure I got some gunk in there too. I added 3 plants from my main tank and one snail who has been fed all week.

I did a 50% water change mid week just off the top.

I just tested the water. Ammonia and Nitrites are 0. The Nitrates are 20-40.

Am I good to go?

A white Betta idea was axed. No background and the white walls, he would disappear.

Meet Red... a Rose Petal male.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469311923.553587.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469311965.124401.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469311979.976586.jpg

Red is a nice color choice. Really stands out.
I would keep an eye on the parameters even though the numbers look good.

Red is a nice color choice. Really stands out.
I would keep an eye on the parameters even though the numbers look good.

I sure will! Gotta keep this guy healthy.

Such a handsome looking boy :) really like the set up! Seriously need to buy myself a new betta

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Congrats for the tank and Red is a stunner!

A couple years ago I passed up one of these, a 4G though and regretted it. Wanted it for shrimp nano, 8G would be much better.

Woot!! Like the tank!!

Congrats for the tank and Red is a stunner!

A couple years ago I passed up one of these, a 4G though and regretted it. Wanted it for shrimp nano, 8G would be much better.

Woot!! Like the tank!!

Thank you. I passed on a 4 gallon as well. Too small for anything I would put in it.

PWC today. Red is doing great and so are the plants. I am going to replace the Biorb standard media in a few weeks with Biohome gravel and undergravel sponges. Gravel is sitting in funky tank water to get started on some bacterial growth. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471227111.352030.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471227123.086238.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471227136.064848.jpg

Back
Top Bottom