Bit of a newb with 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey... i've been searching these forums for a while, and there's LOADS of great replies to questions similar than this... but i can't find any for what I need!

Basically... i've got an 18"x12"x12" tank with this hood.

I'm REALLY puzzled about lighting this bad boy however. So please be gentle :cry:

It's going to be planted so i'll need say 30w+ i'd imagine? Now i'm assuming if it's 30w i'll need 2x 15w bulbs... as 18" bulbs are 15w, no more no less... right?
If I needed more than 30w, how could I do this? Is it even possible? :?

If I was going for 2x 15w.. would this suffice? (VisiLux Twin 14/15w T8 (1in.) Light Unit)

Last question... with an 18" tank... would 18" tubes fit?... My new hood *should* arrive tomorrow so i'll be able to post exact measurements... but i'm not sure if 18" tubes would be a squeeze in an 18" tank!!

Sorry for so many questions... i'm desperate to get this tank up and cycling!!

I have an ahsupply 1X36 watt light in my 10 gallon hood. Fits perfect, but it is DIY meaning you have to do "some" fitting. Not much other than drilling 2 mounting holes and minor wiring up. Check them out at www.ahsupply.com. With that light, you should have 3.6 watts per gallon. Also you get a very sweet reflector that makes it even more efficient.

Welcome to aquarium advice emo!

Your tank is somewhere in the 10-15 gallon range? If you go higher than 2+ wpg than you will need CO2. 30 watts would be enough. 18" bulbs are 15W. If you need more than 30 watts you could get a compact fluorescent setup from www.ahsupply.com. I highly recommend reading Rex Griggs faq www.RexGrigg.com. Hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Good advice guys.

You could also but a coralife freshwater aqualight fixture, sites like www.hellolights.com have some pretty good pricing for that stuff.

If you're 'handy' you could also build a simple wood canopy for under $30, and install ANY kind of lighting you want. I recently did this with my 29gallon...just used super cheap 2x20 watt fluorescent fixtures from a Home Depot. The fixtures were on sale for $8.96...so I have 4 20watt bulbs over my 29gallon - 80 watts, in a mix of GE plant and daylight tubes, for relatively little money. It'd also be simple to mount an AHsupply.com kit in a canopy.

Brilliant... thanks so much for your help everyone.

I think i'll go for dual 15w... now to decide on the bulbs! Hah

I'll post some pictures when it's all set up.

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom