Black Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DustyD29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have black hair like algae on the leaves of my bamboo plant, I was hoping if someone could let me know if this is beneficial algae or if I need to try to get rid of it. The algae has increased over the past two weeks although the algae has been on the plant for a while, I have plenty of bottom feeders but none of them seem interested in the algae at all. Just wondering what I should do, thanks

This is the top view of the bamboo, but there are very fine "hairs" coming from the black area

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399670035223.jpg
    1399670035223.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 59
Its not beneficial and there aren't many fish that will eat it.
Spot treating or dipping it in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (the stuff in the brown bottle at the drug store) solution works quite well.
If you're spot treating, you can use up to 3ml/gallon of aquarium volume without hurting your fish.
If you're dipping, then use a 4:1 ratio of water to H2O5. I leave mine in the dip for around 10-15 minutes.

Make sure you turn your filter off first and leave them off for around 20-30 minutes after treatment (especially if you're spot treating). You don't want it getting in your filter and killing off the bacteria. It becomes harmless after about 20 minutes though.

It will usually turn red (sometimes white) after a day or two. This means its dead or dying. You can scrape it off if you like, but it will probably fall off on its own in a week or so.

Your next step is to figure out why you got the algae and try to prevent it from coming back. Are there any other plants in the aquarium? How long do you leave the lights on? Too much light seems to be the leading cause.

Back
Top Bottom