Black Moor got a piece of gravel stuck in his mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

My Black Moor Dave got a piece of gravel stuck in his mouth I had to pick him up out of the water to get it out. His absolutely fine now but I spotted him when I came home from shopping I was worried that I was lucky enough to spot him in time. Could it have killed him? Also did I do the right thing holding him and is it damageing to him at all or his scales being held by human hands it was the only way I could get the gravel out of his mouth. He's a great fish with lots of Personality but he does dumb stuff lol! His too fat to fit under a bridge I have now and he knows it but will swim sideways to get under it anyway lol

Yea he should be fine. When they get gravel stuck in their mouths it can kill them as it can cause a blockage. Most fish are ok with a small amount of contact. There are products out there to replace the slime coat if needed.

It is okay to take your fish out of the water, but try and leave half of the fish in the water so it can breathe. Be VERY gentle when you do so. My black moor loves to move around my gravel, and has gotten a piece of gravel stuck in his mouth before. If you are worried about it, you could replace the gravel with a sand, which could help the issue:)

My goldfish use to do this a lot and most the time got them out himself but a few times we had to grab him he was kind of giving up, and wiggle it out he was so easy to catch( normally it's a big chase to catch him) after we had done it 2-3 times it was too stressful, we took to changin it, now we have marbles at the bottom and he's just as happy if not happier rummaging through them, I personally would advise changing gravel as there is a risk they could do it when your out and die from it,( I couldn't even sleep when there was gravel just incase)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I will remove gravel I feel my fish was lucky I was at home at the time it happened so saw the gravel in his mouth and acted quickly. I like the sound of having marble stones, ive seen a picture on here and it looks nice. I think il add some large rocks as well as marble stones

Back
Top Bottom